MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, my mate has a Seat Leon FR 150 and i have a 218is. Which would win in a race 0-60? On the books my car should just beat him but i have been in his car recently and feels alot more powerful than mine. (Although my car is feeling rather sluggish lately)

·
Registered
190 Posts
as with all 0-60's its about the driver and the way they drive.

i wiped the floor with a focus zetec even though it has an extra 15bhp

who ever is the better driver will win

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
216si said:
as with all 0-60's its about the driver and the way they drive.

i wiped the floor with a focus zetec even though it has an extra 15bhp

who ever is the better driver will win
That would be a Focus 1.8 then would it? Which only has an extra 5 BHP compared to the Rover 1.6 K and is over a second slower 0-60 too, so it's no surprise you caned his butt.

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
ashy said:
That would be a Focus 1.8 then would it? Which only has an extra 5 BHP compared to the Rover 1.6 K and is over a second slower 0-60 too, so it's no surprise you caned his butt.
Why do we keep having threads about racing this, and racing that? :banghead:

Just go to a track to find out how good the car is in a race.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
190 Posts
all i know is his is a focus zetec and is running at 125bhp mine runs at 109 is it???

so in my opinion it is down to the drive and a lot of thread that have been brought up like this have come to the same conclusion

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
shadybarry218iS said:
it's a derv. you would win
What rubbish, 150bhp derv is going to have hell of a lot more toque than a 1.8 petrol. The FR would blow the doors off the 218.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Skelo said:
What rubbish, 150bhp derv is going to have hell of a lot more toque than a 1.8 petrol. The FR would blow the doors off the 218.

Cheers
Skelo
he would have time to have a cuppa before you got to the detination

the FR is a Good car far better than the 218is

·
Registered
487 Posts
216si said:
all i know is his is a focus zetec and is running at 125bhp mine runs at 109 is it???

so in my opinion it is down to the drive and a lot of thread that have been brought up like this have come to the same conclusion
I would say it has less to do with the driver and more down to the fact the focus will weigh alot more so its power per ton will be equal or even less than yours. Modern cars arent light anymore and a rover 200 is a pretty light car which didnt need all the side impact bars and other safety stuff that adds loads onto the weight

rover 216 1025kg
focus 1.8 1,223kg

as you can see thats nearly 20% more weight so you could have 20%less power than him and still match his speed

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Conclusion to this.

Rover 1 Seat 0

We had a race today, off the line i held revs around 3.5k then dropped the clutch and floored it to 6.5rpm into second 6krpm and the leon was about 2 cars behind into 3rd upto about 90ish and we was running outa road so had to slow it.

I recon he would pulled it back after 100ish though as he was keeping up strong and the rover strugles to pull much after 110.

Im well chuffed!

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
R218is said:
Conclusion to this.

Rover 1 Seat 0

We had a race today, off the line i held revs around 3.5k then dropped the clutch and floored it to 6.5rpm into second 6krpm and the leon was about 2 cars behind into 3rd upto about 90ish and we was running outa road so had to slow it.

I recon he would pulled it back after 100ish though as he was keeping up strong and the rover strugles to pull much after 110.

Im well chuffed!
I guess he does not know how to drive a diesel properly then.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
216si said:

If that's a 1.8 then you have your power figures wrong. A Focus 1.8 Zetec tops at 114 BHP.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
good result tbh I would have thought the derv would have the edge just goes to show its not the car you drive its how you drive the car ;)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
1,772 Posts
Interesting, but try say 30-70mph rolling acceleration test in 4th gear. Id like to see a deisel lose that one!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
At the end of the day, diesels arent that great at all! good for low down torque for everyday driving, but when it comes to a real race, the petty should take control. Theres far too much derv talk on here recently

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Stevo135+ said:
Interesting, but try say 30-70mph rolling acceleration test in 4th gear. Id like to see a deisel lose that one!
why would you stay in 4th gear though? If i needed the speed that badly I'd change to second!

·
Registered
460 Posts
points of a second and a few BHP here and there makes sod all difference you cant really call what'd be faster it would be up to the way you drive, you need big horse power differences for it to be obvious which is faster.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
plum25 said:
At the end of the day, diesels arent that great at all! good for low down torque for everyday driving, but when it comes to a real race, the petty should take control. Theres far too much derv talk on here recently
tell that to audi. they will have no problems telling you otherwise. look at all their S line diesels and then at the LeMans prototype which is a derv. it desemates all, even on its first outing.

i said goodbye to a zr 120+ the other day, he hadnt got a clue what he was up against. he obviously saw my tdi badge and thought he would give it a go. sorry to say he got made to look silly.

:)

diesels are cracking, when driven properly.

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
in one way plu myou're right put a 130bhp diesel up against a 130bhp petrol car the petrol car will probably win, but thats not from lack of power or speed, its lack of driving skill, the diesel powerband dies before the readline and knowing when to chabge gear is very important, too early and you miss peak power, too late and performance drops off. in petrol car its as simple as get to the redline in 90% of cars. Diesel engines are heavy so a little harder to launch but if done right the low down torque will pull the car off the line.

on the 1/4 it would be close, but on the road in real world conditions the diesel will pull hard immediately whereas the petrol car would need to drop a gear or maybe even 2 to get the revs up

1 - 20 of 33 Posts