MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all i have a rover 218sld turbo first thing is there a bleed screw on the heater system if so can you please tell me where
second thing i got a light on the dash with a picture of a rad and water with a thermemiter on this has started to come on for second and then go back off can you please tell me what this is for and how i can resolve the problem any help is good thanks in advance john

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
jc1986 said:
hi all i have a rover 218sld turbo first thing is there a bleed screw on the heater system if so can you please tell me where
second thing i got a light on the dash with a picture of a rad and water with a thermemiter on this has started to come on for second and then go back off can you please tell me what this is for and how i can resolve the problem any help is good thanks in advance john
second problem could be that you need to top up the water for the radiator. the other i really have not got a clue.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
Hi, you should have a bleed screw on the cooling system, which is linked to the heater matrix...which by the sounds of it is one of the same.

Second problem, check the cooling system make sure theres enoug water in there, but the problem sounds like a air lock in the system somewhere if your having trouble.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stu C said:
Hi, you should have a bleed screw on the cooling system, which is linked to the heater matrix...which by the sounds of it is one of the same.

Second problem, check the cooling system make sure theres enoug water in there, but the problem sounds like a air lock in the system somewhere if your having trouble.
hi the problem im having is that light comes on now and then and i did a 300mile trip the other and the heater only blew out warm air when it was on full and the car was hot thanks john

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
I'd agree with stuart, sounds like you have an airlock in the system, do a full coolant change and see if it helps

R

·
0 Posts
I think the bleed screw is on op of the thermostat housing on the front, right hand side of the cylinder head (as you look into the engine bay). At least, that's where it is on the Peugeot Citroen cars that gave the 218 the engine!

It's a (brass), Allen (hex key) headed screw - undo it and allow the air to escape until water runs out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i will give it ago and let you know how i get on thank you for all you help thanks john

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hmm, I've got exactly the same problem on my 218 now also.

I did a complete drain and flush and refilled the system slowly allowing the air to escape through the bleed screw on the thermostat housing. The following week did over 1200 miles whilst on holiday in Scotland the the car didn't miss a beat. I checked the water regularly and all was fine.

This week for some reason the warning light has been coming on, kinda dimly rather than bright red after the car has warmed up, then without reason goes off. The expansion tank is at the level it should be, I've even bled the system to try and free any trapped air. No air came out.

I've not been able to locate and bleed screws close to the heater matrix though, perhaps Dr Dave can enlighten us?

Also worth noting the the brass bleed screw is delicate and shouldn't be overtighted, as I have found out to my cost!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi i have bled the system through the bleed screw on the thermostat but i cant find the other one near the matrix the light on mine just comes on every now and then just for a split second

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all your help guys i bled the system the otherday and has worked a treat so thank you very much for all you help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts