MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Timing belt went on my '98 218 IS so ive decided to let it go, just wondered if there were any suggestions on the best way to do this and get some money for it.

Obv, it needs to be towed away but most places an breakers only offer 15-20 quid cash for this. Though ive taken off the alloys which were prob worth abt 200 odd with the tyres, the car itself has a newish rad, front brk pads, rear o/s caliper etc and anyone who takes it is bound to make a few quid when they strip it, i would but havent really got time an just need it out the drive. Lol its MOT'd til June too.

Any suggestions or websites etc? (Based in Milton Keynes)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Contact Dr Dave.

He may well be willing to resurect it into a fully roadworthy car as opposed to breaking it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you want about £100 for it take it to a scrap metal place, not a scrap yard, they will turn the car into a box and you get to have fun watching as the big digger throws it about a bit and rips off the petrol tank. I got £89 for a proton and they would have given me an extra £25 if it had a cat.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
surely sounds too good to get rid off?
Yeah to be honest it probably is, which is why i was looking for suggestions as to how to get rid of it. I'm selling the Honda i'm driving at the mo cos im off soon to do some travelling for a bit, would keep the Rover and sort it but im not gonna need it for a year or so. Been in the drive since December, just been too busy to sort it out.

Ive not even opened the head to see how much damage there is to the engine, could just be a couple of damaged valves etc for all i know but cos i don't need it anyway, ive not invested the time to find out. Cheapest quote i got for a reconditioned engine was abt 600, its got 3 different kinds of wheels now, plus brake discs are in dire need of a rub with some emery cloth.

Thought the board wud be the best place to find someone who cud do somethin with it, or would want to spend the time on it. Sort the engine, stick a new waterpump/t-belt on there an it's good as new i spose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts