MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
216Si auto problems please help

I have had rovers most of my life and I love em. I have had P6, SD1 and 825 and now the wife has got a 216Si Bubble. The problems we are having is that once you go to pull off the car kangaroo jumps till you reach above 4-5 mph and then all is fine, again when you are slowing down it is fine till you reach the 4-5 mph. The car has done 64K and had full history its too good and we want to keep it but local garage not sure what the problem is. Can anybody help please.

Sorry forgot to mention the Car is a N reg
Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Right well auto's first thing as ever is always check the fluid in the box, the clutches are bathed in this fluid so if its bad the clutches go bad. I'm sure that box is the cvt isnt it???

That box only has 2 clutches unlike a normal auto that has several clutches, anyway basically these boxes slip that clutch when you have your foot on the brake and it is in drive. A normal auto has a torque converter to stop the need for this slipping hence less wear. Basically condition of the fluid is a big thing

It should be changed at 25k so on its 3rd lot of fluid now(check the sh). Take the distick out, look at its colour/level and smell it. If its dark coloured and smells like burned toast panic!!! Change it for new and see what happens

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ill have a look in the morning. if the oil is ok are there any other ideas. Someone told me the gearbox mounts may cause this problem but it seems extreme, do you think this could also be a cause?.

Thanks for your help

Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oil colour

Ive just checked the oil and it is an orange / light brown colour and doesnt smell burnt it smells quite sweet (if something can smell sweet) the thing I have noticed is that there are 2 notches on the oil dipstich and the oil is filled above the top notch is this like an engine and has too much oil in. Will this cause a problem.

All help greatly appreciated.

Have been told that the car was serviced about 3 months ago but dont know if this was by a rover mech or not. How do I know if the right oil was used or not? If the wrong oil was used would the problems i am having make sense and if I change the oil can anyone tell me what oil should be used and where I can get it.

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Well wrong oil would definately cause issues like this due to the friction problems between the clutches but I suspect its a case of old dirty oil here. In a service I seriously doubt it was changed!!!!!!

I'd almost lay bets on it being this though -- I'm not 100% sure (as I have a honda unit in my rover) but the fluid should be pink - it goes orange and then gradually darker as it perishes, you see its a very thin pure oil! Personally I would not drive it until its been drained and refilled (sometimes this can need to be done several times to get all the bad oil out).

The 2 notches are like a normal dipstick it should be on the upper one on level ground when the engine/box are hot. Rover say ESSO or unipart cvt fluid and its 4.5 litres(unipart stuff is good). Basically though I would get it sorted sharpish as itll cost big time if you dont-you may well be able to sort it with this fluid change costing no more than a few £ it has been known

BTW too much oil is bad but I mean lots too much

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still the same

I have changed the gearbox oil and the car is pretty much the same. There is loads of power and it kicks down lovely its just the judder when you pull away and when you stop. Does anyone have any new ideas??.

Also godforbid the gearbox needs replacing does the new box have to be 216 or can i use any 200, 400 etc.

Also does anyone know what a fair price for a 2nd hand box is as i dont want to get ripped off.

Can anyone recommend a good garage to swap box over in the derby, nottingham area.

Thanks

Chris

·
Banned
367 Posts
If this is a CVT autobox, when you changed the oil did you refill with Esso EZL799 fluid, this is the only fluid you should use in the CVT autobox. Don't use unipart stuff as i have heard bad things about it on this forum, do a search.

I learnt this the hard way, when i changed my fluid and used normal Auto Transmission fluid the car ran like a right *****, gave it another change using the Esso stuff and she has been sweet as a nut since.

I doubt it was changed during a service as this oil is nearly £20 a litre!

I got 4.5 litres of this fluid in the for sale section at the moment too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bmw Cvt

Thanks for the quick reply, I changed it for BMW CVT oil as I found posts elsewhere saying it was the right oil due to the mini box being similar.

Is this wrong?.

Thanks

Chris

·
Banned
367 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, I changed it for BMW CVT oil as I found posts elsewhere saying it was the right oil due to the mini box being similar.

Is this wrong?.

Thanks

Chris
Yep that should be ok

The Esso stuff is only avail from Rover/Ford or BMW, so you should be ok :)

·
Banned
367 Posts
I had the same issue with the box as you did but the fluid change fixed it for me.

But if you are still finding it a bit juddery then it could be the nasty plastic throttle body thats sticking or gunked up with dirt try giving it a damm good cleaning out, or just buy a new one off ebay.
These commonly get a bit 'iffy' and can cause judderyness sticking revs etc and are dead easy to replace.
JUST DONT ADJUST THE STOP SCREW ON IT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts