MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1991 216 gsi auto and the cental locking works with the key in the lock.does anyone know whether i can convert this easily so i can lock the car remotely with a key fob

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Buy an aftermarket central locking kit from ebay (quite cheap) and install the motor into the drivers door and wire everything up as instructions and bobs your uncle.

This worked a treat in my Kia Sedona but it isn't an alarm, it will only lock the doors via the central locking through the remote. It is a very easy preceedure to perform if you are comfortable in working on automotive electronics.

NOTE: This will only work if the the locking rods inside the door are rods and not wire.

HTH

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The other way is to fit the later 5AS alarm box ( it replaces the type fitted to yours which is obsolete) using either an adapter loom or getting the wiring connectors from a scrapper & joining them on. I just so happen to have a big box of brand new 5AS units........

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
649 Posts
This car wont have any alarm full stop, just has a switch in the drivers door latch that tells the other doors to lock/unlock.

You will need an aftermarket remote central locking kit and the drivers door central locking motor & switch from a later version, something like an SEi will do nicely.

Dont try and fit the motor from these kits as you'll never get it to fit well and will always be a bodge, use the one that Rover made for you :).

That way when you activate the drivers door motor it will throw the switch which well tell all the others to do the same.

That's what I did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts