MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My 96 K Series Coupe has had a stalling problem since I bought it in January. It doesn't always do it, but it sounds like that same issue a few others have been having where it stalls because the revs drop when pushing down the clutch. Recently it has been pretty good and I was foolishly beginning to think that it had sorted itself out.

However, with the recent downpours it has reappeared drastically!! Yesterday after a good soaking I went out and it stalled 5 times, nearly every time I came to a junction and dipped the clutch! What I was wondering is, can anybody think of anything that could be causing this especially when it is wet? I have not yet gotten around to taking out the IACV and cleaning it, but I don't really see how the wet weather would affect it?

Any ideas most appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
Throttle Position Sensor?

When was it last serviced? Could be plugs/leads/distributor?

How does it idle? OK?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was serviced in January straight after I bought it, but I don't think the leads and distributor were done. The plugs were changed along with all of the filters, oil & coolant etc. It seems to idle ok, but if it's idling for a long time it does 'drop' for a split second, about every 30 or so seconds, though never enough for it to splutter or stall. Would the throttle position sensor be afftected by the wet? Would spraying it with WD40 do any good?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, as it is so bad when it is wet, I have heard people saying that I should spray 'the electrics' with WD40 to displace water. Which bits are these 'electrics' that I should be spraying, and, more importantly, which bits should I NOT spray?!!!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it's a little too early to be celebrating, but so far so good! Changed the dizzy cap and rotor at the weekend, and took out the IACV and cleaned it off with carb cleaner, and gave the whole throttle body area a good soaking too, and then a new airfilter. I've taken it for a few spins and so far haven't managed to make it stall, so fingers crossed it will be ok now! Just thought I'd post my progress as it seems to be quite a common problem!

·
Registered
111 Posts
danallen said:
Well it's a little too early to be celebrating, but so far so good! Changed the dizzy cap and rotor at the weekend, and took out the IACV and cleaned it off with carb cleaner, and gave the whole throttle body area a good soaking too, and then a new airfilter. I've taken it for a few spins and so far haven't managed to make it stall, so fingers crossed it will be ok now! Just thought I'd post my progress as it seems to be quite a common problem!
hi -was the old air filter particularly dirty?did u replace it "like for like"?did u soak the throttle body in wd40?did u have to dismantle the tb to clean it?
cheers

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Abigail said:
hi -was the old air filter particularly dirty?did u replace it "like for like"?did u soak the throttle body in wd40?did u have to dismantle the tb to clean it?
cheers
Hi, the old filter wasn't really dirty as it was only changed about 5 months ago when it was serviced, but I thought for the sake of a tenner I might aswell (it was just a Champion one from Halfords). I then took off the Idle Control Valve and blasted it with Carb Cleaner, making sure to get inside where the bits move and making sure they move freely (the pin and moving area was thick with soot!). I didn't dismatle the throttle body, I just took off the air filter hose as sprayed the carb cleaner inside where the opening is, and all around the throttle cable and linkage, giving it a few revs to get the movement clean. After it was all back together I just used a bit of WD40 on the throttle cable and linkage area. Still haven't managed to stall it, so hopefully this was the answer!

Hope that helps your situation, I see from your other threads you've also had this for some time!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
111 Posts
danallen said:
Hi, the old filter wasn't really dirty as it was only changed about 5 months ago when it was serviced, but I thought for the sake of a tenner I might aswell (it was just a Champion one from Halfords). I then took off the Idle Control Valve and blasted it with Carb Cleaner, making sure to get inside where the bits move and making sure they move freely (the pin and moving area was thick with soot!). I didn't dismatle the throttle body, I just took off the air filter hose as sprayed the carb cleaner inside where the opening is, and all around the throttle cable and linkage, giving it a few revs to get the movement clean. After it was all back together I just used a bit of WD40 on the throttle cable and linkage area. Still haven't managed to stall it, so hopefully this was the answer!

Hope that helps your situation, I see from your other threads you've also had this for some time!

Cheers,
Dan
hi dan
thanks for that.i've done the same as you mostly but used wd40 not carb cleaner-will it make much difference? i have yet to change the air filter tho.
cheers

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Abigail said:
hi dan
thanks for that.i've done the same as you mostly but used wd40 not carb cleaner-will it make much difference? i have yet to change the air filter tho.
cheers
Hi, I'm not too sure but the carb cleaner really did eat into it and it looked like new in seconds - I'd say it was definitely worth a shot. I definitely think it will clean it better than WD40 - good luck!

Cheers,
Dan

·
Registered
111 Posts
danallen said:
Hi, I'm not too sure but the carb cleaner really did eat into it and it looked like new in seconds - I'd say it was definitely worth a shot. I definitely think it will clean it better than WD40 - good luck!

Cheers,
Dan
hi dan
is "carb cleaner" an exact term or has it a different name?cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
danallen said:
Hi, I believe the term is from "carburettor" cleaner, but it is also for fuel injection systems. This is the stuff I bought:

http://www.motortraders.co.uk/xcart/catalog/product_17386_Wynns_Carburettor_Cleaner_500ml.html

Cheers,
Dan
hi dan
thanks for that-i'd seen the redex carb cleaner but that goes in the fuel obviously and i didn't know if it was a "secret " cleaner ,tho i thought not -honest.do you have to dismantle the "fuel injection intake" to clean it and if so how difficult/easy is it?
cheers

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Abigail said:
hi dan
thanks for that-i'd seen the redex carb cleaner but that goes in the fuel obviously and i didn't know if it was a "secret " cleaner ,tho i thought not -honest.do you have to dismantle the "fuel injection intake" to clean it and if so how difficult/easy is it?
cheers
Hi, I didn't actually dismantle any of that or really use it as directed on the can, I just used it on the IACV (removed) and then on the throttle body with just the air filter hose disconnected. I also sprayed it on the mechanism where the throttle cable connects, to make sure that wasn't sticking. It was the IACV which was really caked in soot though, and I think the biggest culprit.

I've also added some redex to the petrol, which will hopefully help keep things clean too!

Cheers,
Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts