MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I ran over a manhole a while ago which bent the brace that the tow bar is on and the wheel tie bars are attached. I managed to replace the part from my old 214, however there is some damage to the exhaust. The gears are also a lot more stiff and not as tight when changing.

It seems to be leaking from the manifold, you might be able to see from this picture http://www.alexhitchins.com/Manifold.jpg . There is also a crack in the downpipe, which I thought I'd bodged, but I'm not too sure now.

I have a donor 416 with a good exhaust system in, but I'm having a real headache trying to get the bugger off. I've sprayed it all with WD40 and left it for a while but are there any tricks to help get the bolts off? You might be able to see from this picture (http://www.alexhitchins.com/Manifold_To_Downpipe.jpg) that the bolts that secure the downpipe to the manifold are located on the underside of bracket. Do I have to detach the downpipe from the underneath of the car and pull the manifold+downpipe from the engine up?

I do have the Argos/RAC 12V Impact wrench but I thought this might damage the thread on the bolts, if I can squeeze it in to use it that is!

Any tips would be good!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
I use a 2ft breaker bar with a good quality universal joint and extension for the manifold/downpipe nuts, usually a stud comes out *doh*

you have to remove the 4 bolts then remove the bolts securing the exhaust brace to the block, then undo the manifold/head bolts and the manifold should come away, remember to replace the gaskets with new ones when you replace the manifold.

andy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Andy, thanks for replying...

How do you fit the breaker bar down there! I have a 2 foot ish one but theres no way I could fit it in the space I have!

Also, I don't have a pit, so I'm going to be crawling under the car as well!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
i have a pit, i stand in the pit and use the breaker with a 1ft extension and universal joint, just jack the front end as high as you can to give you the room you need. Remember to use axle stands, we dont want injuries

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
As far as the gearchange issue goes, you may have bent the remote control rod from the lever to the 'box. Did that myself after jumping a humpback bridge in my 3i.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ashmicro said:
As far as the gearchange issue goes, you may have bent the remote control rod from the lever to the 'box. Did that myself after jumping a humpback bridge in my 3i.
Balls...

Is this a costly repair? I'f I can I'll try and do it myself. Its livable at the moment, but can using it damaged cause excessive wear or damage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts