MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an autobox making a rattling sound on a 216. It only rattles while at idle though, as soon as you put the revs up even slightly the sound disappears. It sounds kind of like a rattling exhaust heatshield, like some thin plating that's loose.

I'm only going off a garage's say-so that it's the gearbox, but I can't see anything actually rattling and it does sound like it's coming from that area.

Other than that the only actual 'problem' with the box is that when the engine is cold the transmission only engages a few seconds after selecting drive, with quite a nasty jolt when moving from a standstill. On occasion the engine has actually stalled when I've put it into drive from a standstill when cold. You also have to brake hard when coming to a stop because it tries very hard to keep going.

Oh, and this only applies to the forward gear. Reverse always engages smoothly.

Once you've been going for ten minutes these symptoms disappear and it feels perfectly normal, although the rattle is still there at idle. Is this something I should worry about?

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
231 Posts
Drive a 216 SLi, a 416 Tourer and a Metro all with a CVT autobox. After 2-4 years all cars get the same things you mention. The rattle gets even worse when you switch on your airco. Sometimes unbearable.

Dealer here (Japan) says it's the "danpaa", which would translate to something like "damper" inside your box. To replace it the box needs to come off. As long as the box does not have any hickups when you drive away the box is fine!

My 216SLi also has that big shock when I put it in D, therefor we always put it in R first, wait for a few seconds till RPM has come down to about 900 and then put it in D (skip N), shock will be smaller.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I inadvertently found out about the reverse-before-forward thing as well. It doesn't have aircon so the rattle isn't terrible, just noticeable. I guess I'll put up with it then, cheers!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts