MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, here's the problem, drove to a friends in the wet on Saturday - no problems with the car whatsoever (no unusual noise or anything). Came to start it up later that evening and it wouldn't.

Got the car home by towing, and I've had a bit more of a look at it. The engine is turning over fine, and sounds as though it almost wants to fire.

I have tried a different (fully charged) battery - still the same issue.

I replaced the distributor cap, rotor arm, plugs and leads, and I seem to be getting a spark - changing these improved the situation, but not enough to get the engine to fire properly.

There seems to be a bit of a smell of petrol coming from the cylinders (when the plugs are out).

Here's the odd bit - I pressure tested the cylinders (obviously when cold), and 3 are reading 150psi (fine), but one is reading only 50psi (not good). I would have thought though that this may be a sign of a coming problem, but surely I'd get the engine running, just badly. The cold engine may be affecting the reading too. There doesn't seem to be any oil in the water or water in the oil.

I have got a new crank position sensor on the off chance its that - however, would I still expect to be getting sparking if this was faulty? Also, its in a really difficult position to get anything onto the bolt - what's the best way of undoing it?

There was also a possibly related (or not?) issue a few days later when the battery went in the key fob. Could this be related at all, or is it just coincidence?

Thanks guys - keep up the good work.

Jamie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fixed (sort of)

OK, managed to finally get the car started - here's how:

Replaced the crank sensor. Got a decent 1/4" socket with wobble bar and flexible adaptor to undo the 7mm bolt.

Tried starting but nothing (although the battery seemed quite flat). Disconnected the pipe from the inlet manifold to the ECU and blew (from the ECU end so as not to damage the sensor).

Tried starting, sounded better, so got a booster battery connected up, and - suprise suprise, with a bit of accelerator, the car started.

Its not running 100% smoothly, but at least now I can drive it to a dealers to get them to do the diagnostics on the ECU.

Incidentally, I repeated the cylinder pressure test, and the dodgy one was up to 150psi when warm.

Jamie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts