MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1994 214SEi M reg - Does anyone know if it is possible to disarm the alarm if the remote keyfob battery is flat ?? You can obviosly open the door with the key, but the alarm warning light continues flashing and the engine will not start. Thanks in advance......

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You're talking about an R8 (wedge shape) yes?

My 214SEi was a 94 as well, which I bought brand new, and right from the get-go the fob ate the batteries. As far as I remember, you cant shut off the immobiliser if the fob battery is flat.

Here's what I did (stay with me here!) The R8 used an infra-red key fob, rather than the later RF type. I bought one of those Casio remote control watches, which you can program by pointing a TV remote at it. I did the same with the Rover key fob. No more getting locked out, and very James Bond.

And I kept switching over the TV in the pub

·
Registered
464 Posts
only very early r8's used infra red 14vt system, from early 1993 iirc, they switched to the lucas 5as system which can be disabled by using a key code.

if it is infra red i know how to disarm the immobiliser but will not post on open forum so pm me

mike

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
R8s used the IR remote until discontinuation in 95. The Coupe and Convertible were changed as they lived on in production for some time after the introduction of the bubble 200.

·
Registered
464 Posts
no it wasnt. 93 saw the introduction of 5as, mine is 5as rf system and its a 95 model r8, pop over to rovertech.net and ask there, im sure you will see im right.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
This isn't the place for an argument, we're meant to be constructive and helpful. Maybe we're both right? My old company car was a last of the line 1995 216SLi R8 but seemed to be GSi spec with leather (parts bin special), still the IR fob

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 98 Bubble (with no Central Locking) and I was told from the start that once in the car, I needed to press the said button on the fob to disarm the immobiliser, and hence stop the light flashing intermittently, then I could start the car. All well and good, then I discovered that I could disarm it before I unlocked the car - still, all well and good.

I read the manual (I'm a woman, I insist upon it!) and it said that after a period of so many seconds/minutes (can't remember), if the car has not been started, the immobiliser will arm itself again and the light will start flashing again. Indeed, the light begins to flash intermittently again, if say I have been sat waiting for someone with the engine switched off. However, I don't need to press the fob button again, despite the dashlight flashing, the car starts straight away - no alarm, no fuss. Does this mean there is a fault with my immobiliser?

Sorry about the length just a bit of a complicated one! :daft:

·
Registered
464 Posts
nope, no fault with your immobiliser, it will only arm passively if it senses that a door has been opened while the engine is off.

out of interest, my 1995 220 is on rf and i know of many many earlier cars also on rf, infact, ive never seen an r8 on the 14vt system after 93.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
My 214SEi was collected from the stealership (Charles f***ing Hurst, AVOID!) by myself on 12th August 2004, brand new car, chassis no. SAXXWMNHBAD854018, registration number RDZ 6797 (we have strange numbers here in Ulster) 6 miles on the odo, IR remote fob. This was a rubbish car. I wish I'd kept the Montego I traded in against it.

My 216SLi was a company car, so I'm not privy to the precise details of the procurement of the vehicle. IR remote. The bulb was a dead giveaway...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts