MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Down below the level of the top of the block? ie is the head off, and its snapped below the level of the top of the liners..?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes well below the liners at the screw end of the bolt. I was tightening with a torque wrench set to 20nm and found out the wrench was broken when i sheared the bolt

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
ouch... I wouldn't start to panic just yet :D but I'd guess options would include welding a bolt onto the top of the sheared headbolt, or worst case remove a liner... wait to see what everyone else thinks first though!

hmmm just a thought, seeing as this 'stud' shouldn't be too tight, would it be possible (is there enough space) to screw a nut 'half' onto the headbolt/stud, and screw a bolt into the nut and extract it that way?? just a thought*.

*prolly talking out of my **** as usual though!

EDIT: Ignore the above.. wasn't thinking straight.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would have thought best to undo everything to get to the bolt then drill a hole inside the bolt then cut a reverse thread into the sheared off bolt then tap into the thread a smaller bolt.
The unscrew it slowly.
Could try a weld but it's such a small area to get to. If the bolt is all the way through the bottom of the block could the sump be taken off and the thread that's poking out be welded onto and pulled out from the bottom?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
To be honest I'd drop the major a message and see how he would do it.

More than likely it's happened before and he's got a solution.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
This is serious.

I'm suprised you were able to snap the bolt, mind. I tmust have been weak to begin with.

So the bolt is snapped below the liners? Hmmmm that's bad. It will probably need an engine stripdown to retrieve the snapped bolt section; there could also be damage to the threaded section of the bearing ladder.

I'm sorry to be so glum but this is perhaps one of the worst case scenarios you could be in.

·
Administrator
79,177 Posts
Amagoza said:
then drill a hole inside the bolt then cut a reverse thread into the sheared off bolt then tap into the thread a smaller bolt.
The unscrew it slowly.
There is no chance of drilling the hardened steel of the head bolt; they will be very hard if not impossible to drill out.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I am stuck at the moment and i can't remember whether the crankshaft carrier has thread in the holes where the bolts pass....or it is just the oil ladder. Forget it....if you can wait till later today i will go to have a look as i have a stripped engine sitting in my garage at the moment. There is a possibility that you can take it off from the underside pain-free.

I ll let you know.

·
Registered
rover_100
139 Posts
How about dropping the sump off and trying to undo the bolt from the oil rail ? it should only be finger tight ... may be very awkward to get access on the last few turns though - and then extracting it from the top with a telescopic magnet ?

Andy

·
Registered
446 Posts
Still not back home...but if Major says its only the oil ladder then no point in me looking. Just drop the sump...and undo the small bolts holding the oil ladder onto the crankshaft carrier, and prise the whole thing off. Then unscrew the remaining bolt from the oil ladder and check condition of the thread. If it is chipped or doesn't seem right, don't put it back. Easy stuff :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys for all the advice i'm going to drop the sump tomorow off a cliff with the rest of the car if i can't get the damn bolt out ha ha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:D :s2h: thanks guys the car is running now and sounds better than ever, much appreciated couldn't have done it without your advice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts