MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic is stumped!. My K reg 214i will not start ion the mornings! It will turn over but not 'catch'. If the weather is warm any time in the pm and it will start first time. He changed the thermostat thinking that this was faulty ie telling the engine that it was warm when it wasn't but that has not cured the problem. 'It has to be ECU' therefore you may as well scrap the car!.Is this my only option? The car worked perfectly well when warm!I'd be very grateful if someone could suggest a solution other than a new ECU.many thanks

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Has he changed the coolant temperature sensor yet? There are 2 so make sure he changes the two pin one which tells the ECU how cold/hot the coolant is rather than the 1 pin sensor which just controls the gauge.

·
Registered
rover_75
1,684 Posts
starting

Have you checked all the usual things like the distributor cap? I had some misfiring/ non-starting due to the contacts/rotor in the cap being dirty/burnt. After a scrape clean with a small screwdriver the problem disappeared. If the car has covered a lot of miles you may need new plug leads. They break inside the plastic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts