MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang.

Can anyone advise me as to whats wrong with my 214i. Its juddering in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears, and it came to an embarrasing halt on a roundabout earlier today. It took a few tries to start it back up again and a distinct smell of petrol came through my fan system.

My mate said I somehow flooded the engine, which doesnt surprise me because Im rather heavy footed on the accelerator, but I just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Thanks in advance.

Mack

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You can flood the engine once its running I dont think. If you pump away like crazy when the car isnt running then you could do it maybe, but i dont think its a possible reason for it stopping.
Maybe you are in the wrong gear!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats originally what I thought, so when it started on the roundabout, I moved it into first, but no, it halted more or less dead in its tracks...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any more ideas guys? I need to find out whats wrong with my car desperately so I know if Im getting to work or not for the rest of the month lol

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
Its injection so you cant really "flood" an engine like you can with carbs. If the engines not running, pressing the accelater just opens and closes the throttle, nothing else. A few people have had problems with the revs dropping down to just above stall point when they press the clutch but its sometimes cured by re-setting the stepper motor, this can be done by putting the key to position 2, fully depressing and releasing the accelator 5 times and then turning back off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
Its injection so you cant really "flood" an engine like you can with carbs. If the engines not running, pressing the accelater just opens and closes the throttle, nothing else. A few people have had problems with the revs dropping down to just above stall point when they press the clutch but its sometimes cured by re-setting the stepper motor, this can be done by putting the key to position 2, fully depressing and releasing the accelator 5 times and then turning back off. Hope this helps.

Actually it can be done. Cranking whilst pumping the throttle could do it.

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
cjmillsnun said:
Actually it can be done. Cranking whilst pumping the throttle could do it.
Yep I know that but im trying not to confuse the matter too much, generally speaking though they dont flood like carb'ed engines do.

·
Registered
681 Posts
When I got a smell of petrol through the fan heaters, it was because I had a loose petrol hose which leaked fuel into the engine bay; whichwould explain the judering and stalling too (lack of fuel). Get the engine turning over and stick you head under the bonnet.

This was on a carb engine though, so it may not be relevant at all, but it doesnt hurt to have a look....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts