MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 1998 214 is a great little car but sometimes the box is very stiff to get into first gear,when it does that i just push the clutch pedal down again and then it is usually okay.i used to have a 220D and the box in that car was top quality and seemed much smoother.is there a problem with my 214 or is that just the way they are.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
i sometimes have this, it tends to be when i am aproching a junction, slowing down etc and then selecting 1st b4 i have come to a stop.

i have always thort it was some defence mech to prevent you going into 1st when you are still moving as it is allways very easy to enter first when at a complete stop.

that could be complete crap but that is the way i have always looked at it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DEViANCE said:
i sometimes have this, it tends to be when i am aproching a junction, slowing down etc and then selecting 1st b4 i have come to a stop.

i have always thort it was some defence mech to prevent you going into 1st when you are still moving as it is allways very easy to enter first when at a complete stop.

that could be complete crap but that is the way i have always looked at it.
i get it when stood still at lights or at a junction,sometimes its fine other times its stiff.

·
Registered
500 Posts
if your selecting 1st at any other time than standstill and its stiff its no suprise as it wont let u select that gear because of the gates in the gearbox. otherwise yeh the 214 has its special features as far as gears go, eg for the reverse, have to lift the clutch up slightly. (drunk wen writing this so please praise me for any hint of sence!!)

john

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
johntheboy said:
if your selecting 1st at any other time than standstill and its stiff its no suprise as it wont let u select that gear because of the gates in the gearbox. otherwise yeh the 214 has its special features as far as gears go, eg for the reverse, have to lift the clutch up slightly. (drunk wen writing this so please praise me for any hint of sence!!)

john
Sorry, but I don't believe that. Sometimes it will pop into first when the car is moving no problem and sometimes I need to de-clutch and then do it and it's still can be a little stiff.
It also happens at times when the car is stationary and I have just come to a stop from say 3rd gear.
It's also a little stiff going in second sometimes, so I'm not sure if what you say is true.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mine's sometimes a bit tricky to get into first, usually just take the clutch out and try again.. Doesn't cause any problem.. Find it sometimes slips outta reverse tho, horrible clunk that makes

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I asked my mechanic bout this one, his answer was

The gearboxes on rovers have a nice feel to them but usually get like this, 'lil bit rough around the edges' he said its nothing to worry about , at least not yet, I believe him, cuz its when I was worried bout how my car jumped outa first gear 2 times in 5 months lol , basically same answer.

Still I prefer this gear box to a poncey corsa one, where you can't tell what gear your in, I tried me mates kept puttin it in 3rd instead of 1st, bloody thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.