MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am posting this on behalf of my girl as she has a Rover 214 SI P-Reg. Problem she has is with the headlight beam as it is really crap and dim.

What can be done wiring wise to allow bigger bulbs to be introduced? And to get more voltage to brighten these up ? If anyone has a diagram for an upgrade or can tell me what i need to do it would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all who post to this thread in advance.

EQ!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Instead you could try a good brand like philips, or Hella etc. The ones advertised as same power rating with x% more light. It makes a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
classic_rover
197 Posts
Haha :)

If you want to experience 'rubbish' lights, you want to see them on my TVR.
- A candle would be better.

Sometimes it can be down to poor earth connections not letting all the power through. Worth checking.

·
Registered
324 Posts
grahamw48 said:
Haha :)

If you want to experience 'rubbish' lights, you want to see them on my TVR.
- A candle would be better.

Sometimes it can be down to poor earth connections not letting all the power through. Worth checking.

Ahhh, you've seen nowt 'till you try 1960's motorbike 6 volt lighting - thats right...you see nowt!!!

As well as checking for breakages in the connections & cable try ....

1. Check to make sure you have the bulb holders in the right way - you could be illuminating outer space like I was!!!

2. Try the ring Xenon or super Xenon - very good

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
lol i got same car & the same problem, I ve always put it down to condensation in the light cluster, apparently a hairdryer will sort it out.

I hate travelin down certain dual carraige ways where theres no lighting, you cant see the side the road , so you have to stick behind other ppl, eventually i fitted fog lights , this helped a lot on dual carriage ways, BUT I DONT USE THEM IN TOWN LIKE SOME IDIOTS. ( sorry )

·
Registered
751 Posts
I put some halfords super bright bulbs (something like that) in mine and there was a noticable improvement. I think without the condensation it would be better still. The standard lights do seem a little crap.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Osram Silverstar bulbs are good.

40% more light (no mods needed).

And they do work, Ive got em in my car, and I wouldnt go back now.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
lol , one headlights go perminant condensation the other has it occastionaly, I was going to buy some more, but takin the things out seem so long winded. & as its such a big problem they'd only go again. Before its MOT i shall clear the clusters, with the hair dryer, lol wonder how long thats going to take ( i do take it it will fail if the lights arn't bright enough ??? )

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
taking them out isn't that big a problem, taking the front bumper off is only a 10 minute job... you could always try putting some sealant around the headlight seams once the headlights removed?

·
Registered
classic_rover
197 Posts
barnsleybill said:
Ahhh, you've seen nowt 'till you try 1960's motorbike 6 volt lighting - thats right...you see nowt!!!
Hmm, you just took me back to my first bike - Triumph Tiger Cub 200 'Sport'.
I was Sixteen, 50p provisional licence, and no helmet required.:)

(Pontefract born and bred,by the way)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts