MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pre 95 214 went out to unlock it this morning but couldnt get in.immediatly thought it was remote but on getting in the car wit the key it is apparent that my battery is absolutely dead, no clock, side lights, alarm. nothing was left on over nigh and the car has been fine for ages. any ideas? m mum had a prob with hers flattening turned out to be a diode on the alternator, is this a common prob could b same for me any help appreciated

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
I would just charge the battery up first and then see how it goes before assuming anything is faulty.
You may have simply not shut your boot properly or the light may have stayed on when you did.
Just check everything is off and all doors properly closed and see how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have got my car going drove it round parked it up.I checked it started ok 3 times and it was well charged. left it for couple of hours and its flat as a pancake again. had boot light happen before some time ago checked it I assume it isnt that but thanks, any more ideas anyone I'm still leaning towards the one way diode on the alternator?

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
giley138 said:
have got my car going drove it round parked it up.I checked it started ok 3 times and it was well charged. left it for couple of hours and its flat as a pancake again. had boot light happen before some time ago checked it I assume it isnt that but thanks, any more ideas anyone I'm still leaning towards the one way diode on the alternator?
Why don't you remove the bulb from the boot and remove the fuse for the alternator or disconnect it? If it doesn't go flat then you know it's one of the two.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have charged the battery to the extent that the car starts every time removed the parcel shelf checked the bulb isnt on shut the car checked everything is off and after a few hours again it is absolutely flat. have charged battery again this evening and it is holding a good output on a voltmeter will check it is not faulty itself in the morn,(its off the car). If it is the diode pack is this part of the voltage rectifier/regulator brush unit. I have changed these before on other cars but have never seen them refered to as diode packs? I assume its all in one the manual does not refer to a diode either. this piece must be it from what I know can anyone confirm?thanks

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
914 Posts
giley138 said:
I have a pre 95 214 went out to unlock it this morning but couldnt get in.immediatly thought it was remote but on getting in the car wit the key it is apparent that my battery is absolutely dead, no clock, side lights, alarm. nothing was left on over nigh and the car has been fine for ages. any ideas? m mum had a prob with hers flattening turned out to be a diode on the alternator, is this a common prob could b same for me any help appreciated
does your battery light come on when you turn the ign key?if it does't i would change the alternator.had the same thing happen to me bump started the car,
charged the battery tried staring a few times all was fine,leave for a bit,dead battery.knackered alt,discharging the batt.got one from a scrappy.
all is fine.batt light comes on in the dash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pretty sure now that the alternator is causing the prob. dont really want to get one from the scrappy as it may be no better than what i have. a new one is too much money and like it says in the manual most alternator faults are caused by the rectifier/regulator which I have already now removed with the alternator in situe still which is great. have read other threads on this subject but everyone always refers to the diode pack and have always assumed the diode in there somewhere is what only allows current one way.what I could do with confirming is is the diode within the regulator/rectifier brush unit as this is what I have removed. people refer to the diode pack is this it? I can get what Ive taken off no prob have had them before for different reason (shaft came loose and broke the brushes). any confirmation would be much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts