MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do I remove sunroof glass on my 214? the rubber seal isnt fitted properly at the front, I have had a fiddle but I think it be easier to fix with the panel off.
thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I believe that it aint an easy job. The interior roof lining needs to come off for a start, and thats not as easy as it looks to put back . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
there are a couple of screws on the inside which hold the sunroof on. you have to remove the little plastic guards thigs on the sunroof which cover the screws. take the screws off and the sunroof is off. very easy job
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
andreas121bob said:
there are a couple of screws on the inside which hold the sunroof on. you have to remove the little plastic guards thigs on the sunroof which cover the screws. take the screws off and the sunroof is off. very easy job
ta, and will it just drop back into place afterwards, or does it have to be aligned in any way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
I agree. Easy job to take out. Did my own the other day when it was nice an sunny. Tilt the roof up. Remove plastic strips from inside the car, they cover the screws (star type heads). Remove the screws on both sides. Sunroof is now free to be removed.

Re-fitting. Tilt the mechanism back to the closed position. Place the glass into correct position, and press down to ensure snug fit. Fit two of three screws back tightly (the two you can get at with roof closed) on each side. Then when glass is secure, tilt back up and fit the last screw on each side.

That's the easy bit. The hard bit is getting the rubber to be sealed against the glass again....

Remove rubber.
Clean up rust.
Use de-ruster if possible.
Paint metal edge to prevent further rusting.
It's been suggest on here to put some silicone in the channel that the rubber fits onto to give a better seal... i did this and it can be a very messy job!
Refit the rubber ensuring it will meet back up in the middle. Get the first bit of rubber onto the sunroof, then hold the remainder at right angles to the channel it is fitting onto... it makes for much easier re-fitting.
I chose to use a good epoxy on the underside of the glass frame, so the rubber and glass frame were strongly held together. It's definitely worked for me. You can then paint with black over the glue to hide it (or just colour it with a black marker like I did! Noone looks up there from underneath anyway!!!).

I'd give yourself plenty of time to do this. Took me a lot more time than I thought. Especially when using de-ruster and paint.

It's stopped the leaking though and cost me a couple of quid for glue, and already had paint. So worth it. All the best with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it doesnt leak, - doesnt water drip into the channel surrounding the sunroof [tray] like on a ford, then drain away from each corner?
Anyway the rubber seal around the glass has come up at the front middle of the glass, and I cant get it back into place properly when on the car, its annoying cos of wind noise on the motorway, if I push the rubber down from above it gets quieter, I suspect the leading edge of the sunroof metal is rusted.
I just thought it easier to fix, if the sunroof was away from the car.

Not attempted it yet.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,348 Posts
Yeah it's probably rust. Mine was badly rusted and needed sorting.

There are channels in there to take away the water, but parked on a hill it can tip over the top and into the car if there's a lot of water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had a look at it this evening, sunroof was very easy to remove, although at first I was unsure of how to remove the plastic trims, they just pull back slightly, and then away. Sunroof panel was 6 x torx screws.

The metal frame seemed clean enough, the seal was just a loose fit more than anything.

If the sunroof was 'tilted' the seal would turn up at the front, then when lowered stayed up, meaning it cought the wind at speed.

could not find a way of keeping it in place, didnt have any glue or silicone to hand, so I used ..... duck tape!! black in colour and it seemingly does the trick, for now anyway, and you cant tell its there.

So, I will pursue a better solution while I see how long the temporary repair lasts.

Thanks anyway fellow forum users, for your info and help.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top