MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Like most newbies, my first few posts seem to be about various problems - theres plenty of positive stuff though, it just doesn't get mentioned!!

I've had my vi for 2 weeks, and today was the 1st time I'd driven it in the wet. On starting, it spluttered a few times, rev's dropped briefly, then when we'd got to the end of the road it died. It started up again, and once warm it was fine.

It looks like the HT leads etc are original (it's 8 years old) & I haven't checked the plugs yet. Is there a known method for preventing damp issues? Also - can anyone recommend a good brand of HT leads?

Finally, we had to use the air-con to demist the car, and when we got back in, it blew out a really dank, off smell - nasty. Any suggestions for clearing this?

Regards

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Magnecor do decent set of leads. Should solve your issue.

They are not cheap, but do have a lifetime guarantee.

Check the drain from the box behind the glovebox is clear for the aircon.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
The heater problem is probably where the air con hasnt been used regularly.

What you want to do is run it fully, first on cold for ten minutes and then on full hot for ten mins. You dont really wanne be in the car when its hot, especially this time of year. This just ensures that the sealant that is carried in the gas circulates properly and seals all the pipes etc.

Anyway, finally, get a tin of that antibacterial room spray, tape the spray button down and put it in the car with the aircon on hot and the recirculation control set to recirc and leave it til the tin is half empty, then remove the tin and leave it to recirculate for a few minutes.

This gets rid of all the germs in the air con system. You can catch legionaires disease from AC systems, although its quite rare.

Anyway, if none of this works, you may need to replace the pollen filter, which is located behind the glove box. They are quite pricey, so try the rest first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts