MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that my 2005 MY TF135 has no grille in the rectangular rear bumper cut-out between the exhausts. Asked my dealer about this, and they were adamant that this is only fitted in chrome form where the "Bright Pack" has been specified, and that standard TFs do not come with a plain black equivalent.

I know this was true of (some) earlier TFs; can anyone out there with an 05 car let me know if their's is fitted with a rear grille or not?

Cheers.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
Expanded Metal Lath (cheap and very nasty way to make a grille) :sick2:

Oi! I said not to get me started!! ;)

(ELO are pretty good though - Ahem, "Mr blue sky, please tell us why, you've had to hide away for so long, (so long), where did we go wrong?")

Oh, sorry Pete... :O

·
Registered
434 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
.... (ELO are pretty good though - Ahem, "Mr blue sky, please tell us why, you've had to hide away for so long, (so long), where did we go wrong?") ....
Please tell me you googled the lyrics and you're not sad enough to know ELO songs :shake:

And back OT:

seamaster said:
Just noticed that my 2005 MY TF135 has no grille in the rectangular rear bumper cut-out between the exhausts.
Quite soon after buying my car I bought and fitted a grille cuz I thought the back-end looks unfinished without it - another example of a manufacturer looking all over the car for ways to cut cost.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Not too difficult.
You have to remove the bumper as the lashing eye/towing point sticks out too far to get the grille on.
You'll need to undo 3 nuts inside the boot, two torquex bolts from the bumper and IIRC 2 screws either side around the wheel arch area. I placed the bumper on the floor (on some old carpet) and didn't need to disconnect the power to the number plate light.
Then you fix the grille to the bumper 10/12 screws and replace the bumper.
Took me about half an hour.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
straffs said:
Please tell me you googled the lyrics and you're not sad enough to know ELO songs :shake:
I am 34 (tomorrow! he he he :) ) - ELO were around when i became musically aware (late 70's, early 90's). ELO were pretty good in my book, little bit hit and miss, but in general not too shabby.

Watch it or i'll start singing Gerry Rafferty's Baker St as well! :lol:

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked one of these grille parts up from Moss and fitted it today. It finishes off the rear of the car nicely. It looked liked something was missing before.

Bit of a carry on, though. The fitting kit of screws and clips that comes with it isn't ideal.

G

·
Sorry - just skimmed through this....Seamaster, are we talking about a black rear grille? If so, where do you get them and how much? I had a right to-do with the dealer I got my baby from last year when he tried to charge me £70 +vat for a rear grille after I said that I thought it was missing.

·
Registered
mg_tf
350 Posts
Scarlet Fever said:
I am 34 (tomorrow! he he he :) ) - ELO were around when i became musically aware (late 70's, early 90's). ELO were pretty good in my book, little bit hit and miss, but in general not too shabby.

Watch it or i'll start singing Gerry Rafferty's Baker St as well! :lol:
I'm glad to see you missed out the 80's - they were'nt really worth remembering anyway!

·
Registered
14,789 Posts
I was only looking at the back walking towards my TF lastnight thinking I must sort that out and get a grille for it, you guys have finally convinced me! :)

And mines a 53 plate so yep just out of cut-off.

Jonathan

·
Registered
47,841 Posts
Andie B said:
Sorry - just skimmed through this....Seamaster, are we talking about a black rear grille? If so, where do you get them and how much? I had a right to-do with the dealer I got my baby from last year when he tried to charge me £70 +vat for a rear grille after I said that I thought it was missing.
Andie, look at post #2 ;)

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Andie B said:
Seamaster, are we talking about a black rear grille? If so, where do you get them and how much? I had a right to-do with the dealer I got my baby from last year when he tried to charge me £70 +vat for a rear grille after I said that I thought it was missing.
Yes, Andie, it's the black rear mesh grille that matches the grilles at the front and sides of your TF. This part was deleted (cost-cutting) a couple of years ago, but if you get down and have a look, you can see that the fixing holes are still there if you want to retrofit one.

The MG Rover part number is DQY000120PMD, and it is available from Moss (020 88672020) for £24.90 + VAT.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts