MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
mg_zs
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how the SRS system works on these cars?

Does it work on a cabin speed sensor? Is there any way the system would be activated by a rear end impact?

Do the seatbelt pretensioners work independently of the airbags? Would it be possible for the airbags to fire and the pretensioners not or vice versa?

Thanks for any info.

Regards
John

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
34,938 Posts
IIRC it is head on only. sensor is down in the front bumper.

i think the pretensioners are linked now, they have connecters under the seats - IIRC they just used to be mechanical ones before about 1996.

·
Registered
mg_zs
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IIRC it is head on only. sensor is down in the front bumper.

i think the pretensioners are linked now, they have connecters under the seats - IIRC they just used to be mechanical ones before about 1996.

Thanks for this, does this mean there is no chance of the pretensioners firing without the airbags also firing?

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
I was in a head on accident into a tree at about 50MPH. The airbags never went off :dunno: What do the pretensioners do? I think the searbelts locked but only like when you break hard.

·
Registered
mg_zs
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was in a head on accident into a tree at about 50MPH.

Dont you just hate it when trees do that! :bgrin: My girlfriend had a lamp post do a similar thing to her 3 week old company Astra two weeks ago! Said she was only doing about 30 but there was enough force to fire every safety device and rip the engine from its right hand mount.....and the lampost finished up behind the car!

I think you can post a Rover (or tree it) and so long as you get the right spot (or the wrong one depending on your point of view) then the airbags will not deploy and you've saved yourself the expense of replacing airbags!

What Im trying to find out is, could the seatbelt pretensioners on the last cars fire without the airbags firing? I don't think they can, I think its a case of 'one off all off' but need to confirm this and that they will not fire in a rear end impact.

Regards
John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts