MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The car is a year 2004 25 five door 1.6 petrol.
I have one working fob, the previous owner dropped the other down a drain.
I know the EKA because I was able to read it out of the Pektron SCU using a pscan diagnostic system.
I would like to be able to use the EKA just in case the one remaining fob stops working or something.
I have entered the EKA on Rovers before successfully, specifically on Rob Bells year 2003 ZR.
The process that worked on his car is "method 1" as described here pscan.uk - Pektron SCU support
I have tried both method 1 and method 2, with a suitably long time interval between each attempt, but with no success.
When I put the key in and twist to lock, I can see the lock post go down on the rear door behind the drivers door, and when I unlock I can see the post go up, so this means that the signal from the door lock to the Pektron must be working right?
The only thing that is fishy is this:-
I twist to lock to start the process (although the car is already locked).
To enter the first digit I must twist to unlock that number of times and return to centre each time, however I notice on the first twist that the rear door post doesn't pop up. It always pops up on the second twist.
Is this normal?
Do I count the first twist when it didn't pop up?
any advice appreciated, thanks, Philip at pscan diagnostics

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got it working.
I changed the EKA (which is probably no bad thing given that you can buy the factory ones for £25).
Then I tried method 2, with the fob in the house at least 60 feet away, and it worked.
Tomorrow I will experiment with method 1.

·
Registered
'06 MG ZR +120 (HQM) '04 MG ZR 105 (IAB)
9,203 Posts
Your 'method 2' is the correct procedure as described in the owners handbook for Pektron equipped cars.

The procedure described in 'method 1' is roughly the correct procedure for earlier cars equipped with the Lucas 5as security system, although changes were made to the exact procedure over the course of its fitment to the 25/45 and ZR/ZS - from 2003 model year the requirement to first insert the key and hold it in the 'lock' position for five seconds was removed, and pre-2003 model year cars did not have the required 5 minute time delay from successful EKA entry to attempting to start the engine; you could fire it up straight away.

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rob's ZR is a 2003 and so a very early Pektron car. Does that make a difference?

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
There are five distinct versions of the ZR owners handbook, and I have a copy of each. These detail three distinct procedures for utilising the EKA code, but the procedure for the Pektron unit is the same for both facelift and pre-facelift, so I don't think there will be any difference for a very early Pektron Mk1.

I will post all three versions of the EKA code instructions as written in the owners handbooks - they may be useful for others as using the EKA is a question that comes up quite often, and as a result of people not appreciating that there are differences over the production life of these cars, usually receives a range of replies ranging from the merely misleading to the totally inaccurate.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
2001 RCL0430EN - Lucas 5as

ZR and 25 – applies from launch to mid/late 2002

Enter the code as follows:

1. Insert key into driver’s door lock.
Turn the key (clockwise) to the LOCK position and hold in this position for at least 5 seconds. Then turn the key to the centre position. It is now possible to use the key to enter the numerical value of the four digits of the emergency key access code.

2. Enter the FIRST digit of the code.
If the first digit is 4, turn the key (anti-clockwise) to the UNLOCK position 4 times. Ensure the key is FULLY returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

3. Enter the SECOND digit of the code.
If the second digit is 3, turn the key to the LOCK position 3 times. Remember, the key must be FULLY returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

4. Enter the THIRD digit of the code.
If the third digit is 2, turn the key to the unlock position twice., ensuring that the key is returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

5. Enter the FOURTH digit of the code.
If the fourth digit is 1, turn the key to the lock position once. Ensure that the key is FULLY returned to the centre position afterwards.

6. Finally.
Turn the key to the unlock position one more time; this will re-mobilise the engine.

IMPORTANT: When entering the code, each turn of the key must be undertaken with care and precision. Ensure the key turns through the FULL extent of its travel and is FULLY returned to the centre position after each turn.

If the correct code has been entered: the alarm indicator light on the instrument panel will stop flashing and the engine can be started.

If an incorrect code has been entered: a warning bleep will sound when the key is turned to its final unlock position. In this case, open and close the driver’s door (this will cancel the error), and enter the code again.
After three incorrect entries, a ten minute delay period is invoked during which the security system will not accept any further attempts to enter a code.

NOTE: Entering the key access code deactivates the engine immobiliser. Once deactivated, the engine immobiliser will remain inactive until the handset is next used.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
2002 RCL0525EN - Lucas 5as

ZR and 25 – applies from mid/late 2002

With the starter switch turned off and the driver’s door locked, enter the code as follows:

1. Insert key into driver’s door lock and to enter the FIRST digit of the code, turn the key (anti-clockwise) to the UNLOCK position the number of times indicated by the first digit of the code. For example, if the first digit is 4, turn the key 4 times. Ensure the key is returned to the centre position after each turn of the key.

2. Turn the key clockwise to the LOCK position the number of times indicated by the second digit of the code. Remember, the key must be returned FULLY to the centre position after each turn of the key.

3. Turn the key to the UNLOCK position the number of times indicated by the third digit of the code, returning the key to the centre position each time.

4. Turn the key to the LOCK position the number of times indicated by the fourth digit of the code, returning the key to the centre position each time.

IMPORTANT: Each turn of the key must be undertaken with care and precision. Ensure the key turns through the FULL extent of its travel and is FULLY returned to the centre position after each turn.

If the correct code has been entered: the alarm indicator light on the instrument panel will stop flashing and illuminate for 1 second. A five minute time delay will commence, during which the engine will remain immobilised.
DO NOT lock or unlock the doors using the remote handset or key during the 5 minute delay. If this occurs, the emergency key access code will need to be re-entered. If the car needs to be secured, use the door sill locking buttons to lock the doors, ensuring that the remote handset or key is not left inside the car.

During the 5 minute delay, the starter key may be turned to position ‘I’ or ‘II’ and the relevant electrical systems can be operated (in starter position ‘II’ the immobilisation warning buzzer will sound).

If an incorrect code has been entered: a warning bleep will sound when the key is turned to the final unlock position. In this case, open and close the driver’s door (this will cancel the error), and enter the code again.
After three incorrect entries, a ten minute delay period is invoked during which the security system will not accept any further attempts to enter a code.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
2003 RCL0546EN (Mk1) & RCL0596EN (Mk2) – Pektron

For ZR, 25 and Streetwise applies from build date 30thJune 2003 on; VIN/Serial No 732814

Before commencing, the starter switch must be turned off and the driver’s door locked.

1. Insert key into drivers door lock. Enter the FIRST digit of the code by turning the key to the UNLOCK position the number of times indicated by the first digit of the code (eg. If the first digit is 4, turn the key 4 times).

FULLY return the key to the centre position each time.

2. Turn the key to the LOCK position the number of times indicated by the second digit of the code. Remember to FULLY return the key to the centre position after each turn.

3. Turn the key to the UNLOCK position the number of times indicated by the third digit of the code., returning the key to the centre position each time.

4. Turn the key to the LOCK position the number of times indicated by the fourth digit of the code, returning the key to the centre position each time.

IMPORTANT: Each turn of the key must be undertaken with care and precision. Ensure the key turns through the FULL extent of its travel and is FULLY returned to the centre position after each turn.

If the correct code has been entered: the alarm indicator light will stop flashing and illuminate for 1 second, immediately the key unlocks the door. A 5 minute time delay then commences, during which the engine remains immobilised.

During the 5 minute delay, DO NOT lock or unlock the doors using the remote handset or key. If this occurs, the emergency key access code will need to be re-entered. If the car needs to be secured, use the door sill locking buttons to lock the doors, ensuring that the remote handset or key is not left inside the car.

During the 5 minute delay, the starter key may be turned to position ‘I’ or ‘II’ and the relevant electrical systems can be operated (in starter position ‘II’ the immobilisation warning buzzer will sound).

Once the 5 minute delay period has expired, the engine MUST BE STARTED within the following 10 minutes. Failure to start the engine within this period will result in the engine re-immobilising again, requiring the emergency key access code to be re-entered.

Even after the engine has been started and run, the 10 minute mobilisation period remains active. This means that the engine will need to be mobilised using the emergency key access code whenever it is left switched off, for longer than 10 minutes. Locking the car with the handset will return the alarm system to normal operation.

If an incorrect code has been entered: a warning bleep will sound when the key is turned to the final unlocked position. In this case, open and close the driver’s door, and enter the code again.

After three incorrect entries, a ten minute delay period is invoked during which the security system will not accept any further codes.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
The part numbers in each heading are the numbers printed in the front of each edition of the owners handbook from which the text was taken. NOTE: these do NOT match the part numbers under which XPart supplied the various editions!.

They are just as it is written in the handbooks, although I would like to have been able to make them a bit clearer, but the very limited abilities of the recently introduced forum software doesn't allow for using colours or different sizes/styles of font as were available under the old forum software.

Xenforo really seems to be utterly crap.

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. What happened last night is that after entering the fourth digit I did get a blast of the alarm.
I then walked away from the car leaving it locked (because entering the fourth digit is by twisting the key to lock).
After five minutes I returned to the car, unlocked it and started it successfully.
Your proceedure is slightly different; I will try yours.

I still find it interesting that Rob Bell's year 2003 petkron ZR accepted the 5AS method but my year 2004 25 won't. Anyway as your instructions come from the manual I would say that they are "definitive".

For anyone reading this with a Pektron car, it is really important that you find out the EKA code and make sure that you can use it.
You need to do this with just the key, with the fob removed from your key ring and put out of radio range.
The reason that this is important is that it you loose or break your fob, or even if it just goes out of sync then you really, really need that EKA to work.
You can call out a lock smith to break into the car, and they will be able to remove the boot lock and make you a new physical key, but they will not get round the Pektron unit.

Now, if you know the EKA then at that point you can drive the car.

More importantly, the Pektron unit will not talk to a diagnostic tool at all unless it has first been immobilised.

So in order to use a T4 or a pscan to code in a new fob then you need at least one working fob, or the EKA code.

So before something happens to your last fob it is really important that you know the EKA and that you have verified that it works.

Once the last fob has gone or failed, it's too late.

At that point you have to physically remove the Pektron and get Technozen to help. Better to find out your EKA and try it out now.

·
Registered
2004 25 1.6
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2003 RCL0546EN (Mk1) & RCL0596EN (Mk2) – Pektron

For ZR, 25 and Streetwise applies from build date 30thJune 2003 on; VIN/Serial No 732814

Before commencing, the starter switch must be turned off and the driver’s door locked.

1. Insert key into drivers door lock. Enter the FIRST digit of the code by turning the key to the UNLOCK position the number of times indicated by the first digit of the code (eg. If the first digit is 4, turn the key 4 times).

FULLY return the key to the centre position each time.

2. Turn the key to the LOCK position the number of times indicated by the second digit of the code. Remember to FULLY return the key to the centre position after each turn.

3. Turn the key to the UNLOCK position the number of times indicated by the third digit of the code., returning the key to the centre position each time.

If the correct code has been entered: the alarm indicator light will stop flashing and illuminate for 1 second, immediately the key unlocks the door. A 5 minute time delay then commences, during which the engine remains immobilised.

During the 5 minute delay, DO NOT lock or unlock the doors using the remote handset or key. If this occurs, the emergency key access code will need to be re-entered. If the car needs to be secured, use the door sill locking buttons to lock the doors, ensuring that the remote handset or key is not left inside the car.

Once the 5 minute delay period has expired, the engine MUST BE STARTED within the following 10 minutes. Failure to start the engine within this period will result in the engine re-immobilising again, requiring the emergency key access code to be re-entered.

Even after the engine has been started and run, the 10 minute mobilisation period remains active. This means that the engine will need to be mobilised using the emergency key access code whenever it is left switched off, for longer than 10 minutes. Locking the car with the handset will return the alarm system to normal operation.

If an incorrect code has been entered: a warning bleep will sound when the key is turned to the final unlocked position. In this case, open and close the driver’s door, and enter the code again.

After three incorrect entries, a ten minute delay period is invoked during which the security system will not accept any further codes.
Yesterday I attempted to make a video of the process. After an hour of mucking about trying to do it the microphone on my camera fell to bits and I gave up.
Then later on I had a few more attempts.
Today I tried three times and on the final third attempt it worked.
On this third attempt I did something different, I added a fifth step and it seemed be what made the difference.
According to the official instructions which you so kindly typed in there are four steps for four digits.
The fourth step is to twist the key to locked position by the number of times of the fourth digit. This leaves the car in a locked state.
The fifth step that I added is to twist to unlock once, immediately after the fourth digit, so leave it with the door unlocked.
Then leave the car alone for five minutes and start.

I will try a few more times to confirm.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts

Whilst not actually specified as a fifth step, the official instructions do go on to say "If the correct code has been entered: the alarm indicator light will stop flashing and illuminate for 1 second, immediately the key unlocks the door. I think this probably covers the fifth step that you have taken, although the owners manual wording doesn't make it clear that the final unlock step needs to be taken separately, after the entry of the fourth digit.

It is good that you have spent the time a trouble trying to get the bottom of the EKA operation - it seems quite common for people to experience difficulties with getting the EKA to work when they need it to, and with the current age and value of the MG Rover cars is the sort of thing that will (on its own) be likely to lead to an owner scrapping an otherwise perfectly good car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts