MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine has a couple of bolts broken off in the cam cover, one for one of the coil packs and one for the plastic pack cover. Not essential, but I can get my hands on a vvc cam cover with all the tapped holes intact and can change over the winter layup.
my question is are the cam covers on the vvc and 135 the same? No difference in internals?
cheers
jim

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,315 Posts
Different part numbers for the MPi and VVC (and intriguingly for the automatic), the coil packs and leads are also about 10mm longer on the VVC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
U tried taking out the broken bolts ? I drill down the centre get a slightly bigger torx bit tap it in and undo it . I know it’s Ali so have to be careful
I did have a go, but didnt really make any headway, the remains of the bolt didnt allow me to get a bit centered. I know it aint right, but easier and cheaper just to get a replacement cam cover really. its only my ocd that wants it sorted, its perfectly functional.

·
Registered
rover_75
122 Posts
I did have a go, but didnt really make any headway, the remains of the bolt didnt allow me to get a bit centered. I know it aint right, but easier and cheaper just to get a replacement cam cover really. its only my ocd that wants it sorted, its perfectly functional.
It’s always tough trying to drill out a hard bolt in a Ali body . Search k series 1.8 on eBay there’s a freelancer one that may be the same

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,658 Posts
There are tricks for removing bolts like that, Youtube is a good resource. If the bolt is broken below the surface you might be able to insert a short length of metal tube of the same diameter in the hole and use it as a guide for a pilot drill so as to not skitter about on the bolt. Once the pilot drill has paved the way an appropriate diameter full size drill can be used, as long as it's just smaller in diameter than the tips of the female hole threads.
I'd get a decent set of drills though - maybe HSSG (cobalt) and not run the drill fast or unlubricated. Hot drills turn blunt quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts