MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

Been driving today, pulled up at traffic lights, clutch pedal straight to floor! I could lift the pedal by hooking my foot underneath. Works pefectly going into 3rd 4th and 5th but sometimes stays down in lower gears.

The car is then in gear and I can't take it out until I pull the pedal right to the top of it's travel. It then works again!

Any ideas??!!

Many thanks

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
It was the slave which was the culprit on mine and it turns out they have had a few in where the slave was bending as it is only plastic it gets affected by the heat,but I swapped both, its only a twenty min job dont let them tell you they will need it for a morning like they tried on me.

IVAN

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice! I've been browsing the forums and found it's quite common!!

Where abouts are they and are they easy to fit? I am used to getting my hands dirty but won't attempt if anyone thinks I shouldn't!!

Cheers

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
its a doddle get under the clutch pedal and there is a clip through a pin at the top of the pedal,pull out the clip,and remove the pin,then go into the engine bay and where the master cylinder is twist it clockwise and withdraw it through the bulkhead, the push fit joint on the pipe has a plastic insert which you will probably need a screw driver to push in,then pull the joint apart,dont worry they are self sealing at both ends, next withdraw the master cylinder,and pipe from the engine bay(this is the most fiddly bit believe it or not) the slave has a clip like a three quarter hexagon,which holds it in place, made of plastic, twist and pull and its off,twist the slave cylinder and pull away,assembly is just as simple but dont cut the clip on the rod to the slave which holds the piston in place till you have fitted the slave with the clip on, the whole thing comes primed with fluid so you dont need to buy any.

IVAN

·
Premium Member
79,177 Posts
Potentially bloody dangerous I'd say - what if there was somebody crossing the road in front of you, like they do?!

·
Premium Member
43,249 Posts
Agreed major. Mine stalled because I had the hand brake on and I hit the foot brake hard. Managed to limp to the dealers where they took it in and fixed it. Glady nobody was crossing the road in front of me at the time. Other drivers cussed me as I pulled over and hit the hazzards :lol: Not a good advert for MGR though :(

·
Registered
mg_zs
1,322 Posts
Bazza\Major I argued the toss with them that as they had a few of these in that it should be done gratis my car was over the miles on the warranty but only about 2 1\2 yrs old but they werent interested needless to say I dont bother with my rover dealer history any more and will get anything major done by my mate at his garage you are right it is dangerous,it scared the life out of me when it started to move on its own at a junction. The best of it is they even said oh yeah we have had a few in like that especially last year with it being so hot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers all.

Got the parts and did it myself today! Fitted new slave and master in about 50 mins!

Sacry ain't the word when it happens! I was lucky I was at lights with no-one in front of me! :eek:mg:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts