MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently put an engine from a 2001 R45 into a 2000 R200. Had to change EVERY concievable part from the 200 block to the 45 block as everything was mounted slightly differently.

As I didn't have the ECU from the 45 I had to change diesel pumps too (including the whole back mounting plate due to a difference in pump case diameters)

The person who removed the 45 engine very kindly cut the cable on the No. 1 injector for some reason so I used the No. 1 injector from the broken 200 engine but left the other 3 that originally came with the 45 engine..

I have since been told that the injectors in the 45 engine are slightly different than in the 200 engine..

Could this account for a reduction in power I seem to have in this 45 engine compared to the 200 engine??

I hope this makes sense.. In short, I am using a 200 pump, on a 45 engine with one injector from the 200 and the other 3 from the 45..

Cheers..

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
If i understand correctly the break pressures on the SDi injectors, are different to the 45's.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
The pressure your pump has to make to open the injector is the brake pressure. On a 200 injectors its 200bar (3000psi), on 45's its 210bar. Thats 150psi differance! Bung the 200 injectors in and see how you go! I'm suprised that the engine isn't as lumpy has hell with mixed injectors!
Jim

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is poor to start, has a bit of lag, goes well from 2500 up to 4500 but is lumpy at low speed in high gears.. sounds like I now know the problem..

Cheers.. I'll report over the weekend..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put the correct injectors in now, and blocked the EGR pipe while I was at it..

What a &#%$ difference it has made.. Jesus...

Got the Turbo up to around 18/19Psi, Stainless DeCat pipe and Blocked EGR and it will now pull as quick in 3rd as my other 200 does in 2nd..

Thanks for the advice chaps..

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What kind of stats are you looking at with the new engine in it?
I'm not sure, I know it is now a lot quicker than my other "standard" 200 and tonight I made a Seat Ibiza Sport look like it was going backwards in 3rd gear.. think I embarassed him as he backed off at 70 (he was 100 metres behind at the time :)

I would like to have it rolling roaded before I do any more mods.. Does anyone know of any decent places in the Cheshire area???

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a mad cap idea...

If putting 45 injectors in running on a 200 pump that has 150psi less pressure makes the car run with less power and amazing fuel economy.. Would sticking the 200 injectors on a 45 pump with 150psi extra pressure make the car run like an animal?????

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Here's a mad cap idea...

If putting 45 injectors in running on a 200 pump that has 150psi less pressure makes the car run with less power and amazing fuel economy.. Would sticking the 200 injectors on a 45 pump with 150psi extra pressure make the car run like an animal?????
in theory yes the injectors would open earlier meaning more fuel per injection but car would need to be set up to cater for this or rough running would occour

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Why would rough running occur? People have already done it and reported power gains. The beginning of injection cycle is measured by the needle lift sensor on number 1 injectors so the pump calibrates the start of injection event time itself without needing a remap to alter the injection timing.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Here's a mad cap idea...

Yes, but on mine it made it smoke like a *******!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Yes mate. Others have done the same mod without a remap and they didn't report smoking, but loads more power.
Jim
Oh great, I ask because mine has also had a re-map, the chances are if I try the 200 injector swap with mine, I'll get loads of smoke too. :dunno: Is that correct ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts