MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

had my vi at the local garage.....squealing from one of the belts, they said its the water pump and (alledgedly) changed it plus the power steering belt as well they also drained and replaced the coolant

now the squealing is back, and the coolant is bubbling and spitting and boiling over.........but the temp gauge doesnt move from its normal position

also the rad fan seems to be kickin in more than usual since the garage "work"

these muppets are seemingly quite ignorant of the vvc engine, and i hope they havent broke me beast!
anyone got any ideas

cheers

matt

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
It should be pressurised and not boil over.

Check the coolant expansion bottle cap as a first port of call.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the cap seems ok stu................the whole reservoir of coolant went in a day, and i cant see any leaks anywhere

is this the dreaded hgf??

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
to test the cap you need to pressure test it. Its easier to just buy a new one. Or borrow one of a friends car for test purposes.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I thought the water pump on the VVC was driven by the timing belt (I may be wrong?), which would mean that this would have to be removed. Non-familiar mechanics tend to run a mile when they see one, I know!

The overheating may be down to air trapped in the system which should have been refilled under pressure to remove air pockets.

As the VVC's a scarey engine in terms of complexity I'd advise you to take it to a Rover dealer (I know - expensive!!) ASAP.

If the tension is wrong on your belts or they've not replaced the timing belts correctly I hate to think of the damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts