MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back again!!

My lovely 200vi was fitted with a Janspeed back-box by it's previous owner (no really, it wasn't me!!!) It's not excessively loud during normal driving (7k is a different story however:evil: )

Anyway, does anyone have any evidence or thoughts on whether the janspeed affects the fuel economy in any way??

I'm using my vi for a 60 mile a day round trip to work, and I'm getting about 40mpg / 300 miles down to the red-line on the gauge, bearing in mind most of this is following lorries around @ 55-60mph, with only the odd blat here and there.

If it doesn't make any difference then I'll probably leave it on, as I don't mind the noise and it's not loud enough to annoy the neighbours.

Secondly, the gear stick is a bit floppy (compared to my old 200sdi which I believe had the same PG1 'box). Does anyone know if the linkage is prone to wear? If so, which bits tend to wear out, and how easy are they to change?

Cheers!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Have a janspeed on one of the vi`s not impressed

loud but not annoyingly so - i dont believe they make a big negative on the mpg - your consumption seems pretty good tbh

Dont know of any gear link issues although i have had a few requests for it from the one i was breaking......

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
linkage bushes are well known to wear as are the nylon bushed in the universal joint at the end of the selector rod, popular mod is to cut this off and replace it with one from a steering columb, done it myself and it made a immense diference :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Si said:
linkage bushes are well known to wear as are the nylon bushed in the universal joint at the end of the selector rod, popular mod is to cut this off and replace it with one from a steering columb, done it myself and it made a immense diference :)
that would explain the demand from my donor car!!

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
bushes are only £20 for polly ones and a universal joint from a 200 steering columb is only £5 from a scrappy, £25 and you will have one SWEET!!! gearchange, i have fitted polly bushes, a uprated universal joint and a home made quick shift gearstick and te change is lurevly!!!

and beleive it or not but a decent gear knob can help the gearchange too as the momo ones etc sit lower on the shaft and in tern shorten the throw between gears :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again.

I've been thinking about getting a standard 'box back on, but seeing as vi's are as rare as rocking horse manure, I've not seen another on the road, but I'm sure I've seen low-res pics on ebay etc and it looks like a bit of a single pea shooter.

Could someone post a pic of a standard vi exhaust please?

Cheers

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
i don;t have a pic but yeah they are just a single pipe pea shooter, but they have a chrome plated tail pipe finisher on which rust's and looks **** after about 2 months.........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts