MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After owning a 150bhp Metro for 3 years ive had to scrap it and ive found that the Rover 200vi is the way forward for me.

Looking for modifcations is almost as bad as mods for metros thou. I know the k-series very well but it will be the first time i will have worked on a VVC but i assume the haynes gives you the indepth info on things like camshaft changes?. When i say changes this is what ive got planned

145bhp VVC engine
K+N
55mm Metro GTi TB
Emerald ECU, ive already got one so might as well make use of it ( VVC ENABLED )
Reprofiled VVC exhaust Cam
Janspeed manifold, Decat, full stainless system

Now with the mods i expect to get about 160-170bhp which will more than keep me happy.

My problems at the moment are these,

The rover 200, 25 and MG ZR all look the same but with a few changes. I am more interested in what differance they have in terms of hardware. For example if i was to get a Janspeed manifold for a MGZR and a full MGZR with decat exhaust system would it all fit on the Rover 200 with no agro?

I would probably invest in some avo coilovers and some decent tyres but the basic idea is to have the car looking standard but be abit of monster when you bounce it off the limiter.

Just want to get it to drive and handle like a sports car but still have the grandad style thats makes people underestimate them.

Any problems with the 200vi that i should keep my eye out for? heard about rusty tailgates? engine problems dont really bother me.

Hope i havent asked any frequently asked questions just wanna get an idea of whats what

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
No need for most of that for 160-170bhp from the VVC.

Enclosed induction system like the viper with a decent cold air feed and 52mm throttle body sorts the induction. De-Burr the exhaust manifold and fit a decat and performance exhaust to get the gasses out. Viola, 160bhp :D

Easy as that.

No need to change the cams, or open the engine up at all until you want over 180bhp. The Emerald should allow you to be well into the high 170's at least.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers STU,

I know the k-series is a very tuneable car but iam surprise that 160BHP can be made so easily. What you listed is pretty much what i was going to get so i probably leave the reprofile until i need to take the head off.

I cant find much on decat exhausts for the VI thou. They are all cat back systems. Hope someone knows whether its a case of getting mgzr stuff and fitting that on the vi.

Dont fancy a powerflow one. Too much based on look and sound,not proven performance

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
The handling of the Vi does need improving over standard, I'm in the process of aranging a MG ZR 160 coversion of my Vi's suspesion

I changed my wheels to hairpin 16"s with 205/45/16 tyres, much much more grip but it highlights the in my opinion too soft suspension for a Gti class car.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Janspeed do exhausts for the Vi IIRC. Cat back is what you want, and then an additional decat or sports cat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts