MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a new leather & fake wood steering wheel for my 200 bobtail - am I right in thinking in order to safely remove the airbag I just need to disconnect the battery and wait 10 mins?

Next question for all you fountains of knowledge is, does anyone know if the wiring is already inplace to use steering wheel radio controls (my car doesnt currently have them)?

Also if anyone knows next weeks lottery numbers, and the winner of the national that would be helpful too...........

·
Registered
305 Posts
I did this too on my 400 a couple of weeks back, and guess what i was putting on??? A leather and wood steering wheel. Off ebay like yours i assume. On my 400 is how you describe, disconect battery for ten minutes remove airbag then wheel then swap it over. Cant see there been wires there for stereo unless it already had them as standard. Top wheel feels so much better than cheap tat plastic one.

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BigFella said:
I did this too on my 400 a couple of weeks back, and guess what i was putting on??? A leather and wood steering wheel. Off ebay like yours i assume. On my 400 is how you describe, disconect battery for ten minutes remove airbag then wheel then swap it over. Cant see there been wires there for stereo unless it already had them as standard. Top wheel feels so much better than cheap tat plastic one.
from a dealer in Bolton?

any idea what size the torz screws are that hold the airbag? looking forward to changing it, and hopefully the seats too this weekend - I'd do it now but my socket set is 200 miles away DOH!

·
Registered
9,700 Posts
removed my steering wheel numerous times,

the airbag is helled in by 2 allen key bolts, one each side.

for removal i personally disconnect BOTH termnials just incase obviously the negitave first :p, wait 10 mins and then try to turn over the car, then remove :)

easy peasey :)

as for the steering wheel controles they aint the wireing already there, and it takes ALOT of work to fit them aftermarket and it includes changing the dashboard clock which cost arround £80 from rover :err:

si :beer:

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigFella said:
I have no idea, just had a cheap Torx set in my tool box, and used one of them. Did you get wheel cheap??
it was about £70 with the postage - everyone I know said 'you spent how much on a steering wheel????' but I like them, and compared to full whack its cheap, my local dealer was selling them for something like £125ish about 18 months ago

I was kinda hoping the wiring was there by default......

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BigFella said:
I am sure they are Torx screws, will check when its daylight. My wheel was from the same dealer off ebay.

mine are torx - but you know rover - they pioneered the idea of building cars from common parts back in the 70's...... anything thats left over could turn up in anycar anywhere.....

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
They should be Trox screws. My guess is if they don't have them on the airbag/wheel has been off in the past. The screws should be once only use just like the nut that holds the wheel on but nobody replaces them when they take them off only dealers.

·
Registered
mgf
5,476 Posts
MGF uses a pair of T30 Torx screws, here:

And the MGF uses a huge amount of R200 componentry in the cabin, so i assume the R200 is the same.

I went from this wheel...

to this wheel, simlar to yours?

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
job done - and new seats (matrix) fitted too - thanks for the help - and its a def improvment over the standard wheel, much nicer to feel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts