MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after fitting my new £60 front speakers and not being that impressed, people have told me to get good back ones to help improve the quality.
What size are these?
Are they easy to fit?
What do you recommend?
Matt

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you want to replace the old ones, or fit a set?

My 200 didn't come with any speakers in the rear. I noticed that a lot of people were fitting 6x9's on the parcel shelf, and i don't really want to hack up the parcel shelf, and i don't like 6x9's.

My only option was to fit some speakers in an area that looks made for little speakers. It's located on opposite sides of the parcel shelf.

All i could find was a pair of 100watt Pioneer jobbies. I think they were 30euro, and their 10centimetres(don't quote me on that though).

The sound isn't fantasic at high volumn, or playing music with deep bass beats. Saying that, at least now I have music in the back of the car.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
well i have three sets of speakers (tested ) in the back the normal rover ones ( poor) these cheap 25 pounds one 250 watss no makers , POOR but better than the rover ones , & infinity 250 or 300 watt SH*T worse than the other two even though a lot more expensive , no bass & rubbishy sound. Can't understand it but yeh I just plugged my rover ones back in cuz I was so ashamed I spent 50 pounds on some speakers that sound like ..........

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
mattie007 said:
Ok, after fitting my new £60 front speakers and not being that impressed, people have told me to get good back ones to help improve the quality.
People told you wrong. If you're not happy with the fronts, the rears aren't suddenly going to make the fronts better, are they? Most of the sound (if not all) should come from the front. Forget the idea of rears, and optimise the installation of the front speakers, by thoroughly sound deadening, and making sure they're mounted/sealed well. If you're still not impressed, add an external amp and upgrade the wiring if you haven't already. Then if you're still not impressed, sell the fronts and replace them with better ones.

The whole rear speaker thing is a Max Power induced fad that has no basis in fact whatsoever. IF you want to go with replacing the rears, replace them with a sub.

HTH

Mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
is it hard to replace speaker wiring? i have vibe components up front and amped 6*9's in the back for my bassline, the 6*9's were fitted by a shop and i think they brought new wiring back for the speakers but when i looked inside my door cards the speaker wiring is new up untill it reaches the rubber joint then its this thin **** that doesnt look very good

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Eek.. Vibe? No wonder they don't sound great. Another wonder of the Max Power generation, lol.

First thing I'd do is get rid of the rears altogether, and run the fronts off the amp instead.

As for replacing the wiring - it's not hard atall.. just run it up the car, under the carpets/sills, making sure you don't screw through it or anything when you put things back together. Getting the wire into the door is the only issue - look for grommets that you can pass the wires through. There are plenty of threads on this forum detailing how to get the wire into the doors I think :)

And the wire should be replaced all the way to the speakers, not to wherever the original wiring can be found easiest.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
73 Posts
they sound fine, specially with the amp i just fitted, once they are broken in i will be well chuffed, just would like to change the speaker wiring, and i spose i should use some sound deadening because i get a few rattles when its at its loudest! is it hard to fit this stuff?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Sorry, I must have come across as rude then. I thought you were the guy who posted the thread (didn't read back through the thread).

Sound deadening is easy to fit - just heat it a little (hair dryer/heat gun) if you have to fit it around any edges. If you buy foil backed stuff (such as dynamat extreme), watch for the foil cutting your fingers. If you go for something like bodyline (www.bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk), make sure you peel back the infinitely thin plastic backing.

HTH

Mark

·
Registered
cityrover
13,055 Posts
remove the rear ones completly, youre best off with the sound field at the front of the car. If you want to balance it out stick a sub in

·
Registered
73 Posts
well in a couple of months i might decide to sell off my 6*9's and get a sub then put the amp in the front for the components, ill see how it goes once they are broken in, but tbh at the moment im happy with the bass im getting and the quality of the music, if i get a sub it will be a vibe cbr10 active, only cheap to buy and ive had one before and was very impressed with it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts