MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally spend a few months in the summer in hotter climates, and have a problem with the air con - its starts blowing hot air (were talking on long runs in 40 degrees at above 90mph) I'm guessing the air con just isnt upto it (LHD 200's have larger air con units) - it improves slighty if I change the pollen filter (doh) and remove the insulation under it - but has anyone got any ideas on putting extra heat sheilding in to keep the engine heat (TD) away??

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
r25 air con / pollen filter

Noticed your note on air con but where is the pollen filter located on the 200/25.
Thanks

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
once you find it - its easy!

remove the sound insulation (its 2 snap on plastic thingies...) from under the glove box.

then unscrew the glovebox (its held in by two bolts, underneith)

Once its out, you'll see the aircon unit (big black plastic thing) - you have to remove a metal bar which apns the length of the unit and is held in by a screw at either end

Then in the centre of the unit is a removable panel (simple clip top and bottom) which covers the filter - its a panel filter a bit smaller than your airfilter - but same ideal. replaced mine for possible the first time ever after 60,000 miles, and it was furry with the rubbish stuck to it.

once you have found where everything is, it only takes about 5 mins to take it all apart, and the same to put it back together. I found it by accident when the sound insulation fell off!

·
Registered
mg_zr
1,244 Posts
r 25 pollen filter

Thanks for that info. Just done a 4 year service on my 25 but missed the pollen filter.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Mine seems to be ok no matter what you do with it.

Dont know anything about the air-con system though so im afraid I dont know what to suggest other then you may have another problem.

Someone will be along soon im sure.

G

·
Our 414 had an excellent system with one glaring design fault. If you ran the fan on speeds one or two, the airflow through the aircon evaporator was in sufficient to stop it freezing up. Once frozen, it blows hot until it unfreezes.

As the Mk1 400 is a very similar car underneath to the Mk3 200, this may also affect your car.

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont think it is a problem with the system itself - it works perfectly under anything like 'normal conditions' I think its just heat from the engine eventually overwhelms it at high speeds - any idea how much a recharge costs??

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not a clue on prices, but they generally tend to need a re-charge every so many years. If you run it on a very hot day (30+ deg), is it freezing cold or just cold enough? I just find it weird that it does it on high speed...supposedly the compressor's output increases by the revs (up to a point of course, that afterwards looses its efficiency). Somebody else could comment about what happens on their 200 when cruising at high revs?

G

·
rover416si said:
Not a clue on prices, but they generally tend to need a re-charge every so many years. If you run it on a very hot day (30+ deg), is it freezing cold or just cold enough? I just find it weird that it does it on high speed...supposedly the compressor's output increases by the revs (up to a point of course, that afterwards looses its efficiency). Somebody else could comment about what happens on their 200 when cruising at high revs?
That's why I suggested the point about airflow.

·
Registered
rover_45
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats a thought - i'll try testing the fan speed/freezing thing.. I always assumed it was the heat from the engine combined with high external temp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts