MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son has just bought a 1998 Rover 200 1.4 one owner from new, 25,000 miles. Car looks very good inside and out but rear doors are very stiff to open and close. Doors are not out of line, there is no noise they just feel stiff, anyone know what the reason might be?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Ken said:
My son has just bought a 1998 Rover 200 1.4 one owner from new, 25,000 miles. Car looks very good inside and out but rear doors are very stiff to open and close. Doors are not out of line, there is no noise they just feel stiff, anyone know what the reason might be?
Well, not wanting to promote a stereotypes, but a lot of these cars were bought by old boys/dears, and they never used the back. My 400's doors were/are a fair bit stiffer than the fronts, and the rear is totally immaculate like it came out of the factory....10 years ago!
Thats all i think it is mate, just not used, lubricated or worn in in 8 years!
Looking at the mileage, its not much, so quite possibly an OAP job!
Just grease them up and use them, as long as its not really grinding you should be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Samuel said:
Well, not wanting to promote a stereotypes, but a lot of these cars were bought by old boys/dears, and they never used the back. My 400's doors were/are a fair bit stiffer than the fronts, and the rear is totally immaculate like it came out of the factory....10 years ago!
Thats all i think it is mate, just not used, lubricated or worn in in 8 years!
Looking at the mileage, its not much, so quite possibly an OAP job!
Just grease them up and use them, as long as its not really grinding you should be fine.
Carpets and seats look in brand new condition so maybe it is the fact that they just haven't been used. Thanks.
I have a 04 Renault Scenic but am very impressed with my sons Rover (up to now)

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
The rear doors on my parents 200 are like this and they get regular use, I sprayed some WD40 on the sliders and inside the grommit where they slide in and out of the door, this seemed to free things up quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
copper grease or grease. Halfords sell both, comma do some grease sold in halfords, blue large platic round bottle with a grey lid, last ages, better than wd40 as this just dries eventually.

cheers

Ben

·
Registered
rover_25
125 Posts
yep - had the same problem with my 02 plate rover 25. rear doors never been used and they were very stiff, so i applied plenty of WD40 and the doors release much bettter..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts