MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a problem selecting first gear, it is very hard to push into first and the clucth feels springy?
its fine for the other gears .only when selecting first and not everytime just two out of three.
i had the system hydraulics bled a few weeks ago and it was fine but today it has come back.
anybody know whats wrong?
thx

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i went to the car today and could not get it into gear for love nor money. the garage came for it and have phoned to say that there was no fluid it in!!!
he says that the cylinders need changing anybody know whats a good price to have it done?

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Well you are looking at hundreds of pounds, the previous owner of mine was charged over a grand at a main dealer.

chances are the slave cylinder has a leak, if so this will have contaminated the clutch, not sure if it would be necessary to change the master cylinder as well though

I suggest refilling it again and double check it is not a leak external to the gearbox which may be easier to repair first.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
are these slave cyls not external then? Are they inside the bell housing? Are they a common problem and what sort of milage do they go at?

·
Banned
9,909 Posts
The slave cylinder is inside the housing :( Costly business and you would be looking at a big price. Suggest you contact Lates a member on here and ask him for a price as it could save you a lot of ££

Regards

Mike

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mines done 101126 miles. the garage filled up the fluid but i cant see it leaking anywhere. i have bought a new master cylinder at a cost of £177 on his advise but havent had it fitted yet as been busy fitting my steering wheel, its fine to drive at moment but i dont fancy using it much till its fixed!!
the system was only bled two m onths ago.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
if it's inside the bell housing you probably won't. It probably gets soaked up by the clutch dust and never makes it any further. Just a guess.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
after pulling the carpet back and removing the panel above the pedals i discovered that the master cylinder is leaking and there is a steady trickle of fluid so thankfully it isnt the slave cylinder after all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts