MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll shortly be fitting my JVC head unit and CD changer to my recently acquired 1998 Rover 416 saloon and I'm looking to upgrade the front door speakers (and possibly the rear shelf speakers at a later date). Now, first up, I am not a big ICE expert or fanatic and am not looking for a bootful of amps, subs and other gear that would put a rock band to shame - just a sensibly priced pair of speakers for the front doors. In my last car I had a pair of PIONEER TSH683 units which I was quite happy with, but doing a search on the web, these do not appear to be available any more. I'm not sure if they would've fitted the Rover anyway, but something in the same performance/price bracket would be fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, using the Pioneers I had before as a measure - around £60-£70. My main musical interest is mainstream rock. Main thing is I don't want to have to butcher door panels so a straight swap would be preferable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, fair enough. In that case is there anyone out there who does understand the language "standard fit" ?? Be grateful if anyone can recommend a better quality speaker that will drop straight in to the front door aperture of a 1998 416 saloon with no surgery required. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Franco - if you're willing to do a bit of work with a jigsaw and some sound deadening, a LOT more can be achieved. Here's one of the builds I knocked up a week or two ago.. 8.75" speakers in standard locations basically:

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=98101

Anyone who can cut a circle with a jigsaw can do something like this, so I see no point in severely limiting choice of speaker, to the lower end of the market, when a day's work can accomplish something like this

Cheers

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts