MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of background first. A month ago, the engine overheated due to coolant loss...apparently, no evidence of HGF, no mayo, compression ok. Water pump and rad changed. Engine was still reluctant to start...ALMOST firing immediately, and then eventually firing after 5 or 6 seconds of turning over.

A week later, the head gasket DID fail and was replaced. The guy that skimmed the head said that it had at sometime become VERY hot and the advice was to sell the car ASAP.

Is the starting problem (which is still the same) due to a warped/damaged cylinder head or something else?

HT leads, plugs, distributor cap, coolant sensor (the brown one at the front) are all new. Despite the advice I can't afford to replace it at the moment
Hope this is understandable... i'm a 'non-expert' :)

TIA

·
Registered
894 Posts
printmeister said:
. Engine was still reluctant to start...ALMOST firing immediately, and then eventually firing after 5 or 6 seconds of turning over.
No expert but speaking from my experience had head gasket replaced, car started sometimes first turn of key or required several turns. Turned out battery had given up and went when I was at a busy junction

:eek:mg:
Problem solved by

(1) Replacing Battery

(2 Coolant temperture Sensor

(3) Me re reading manual regarding starting methods!, i.e pushing down cluth and ensuring all electical items are off before starting car

Hope this helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts