MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
my cars problem is stalling when slowing down in neutral.i was advised to clean the iacv which i did. this helped but only for a few days.if i disconnect the the iacv as advised and things improve is it ok to leave it unplugged?
cheers

·
Registered
152 Posts
Abigail said:
HI
my cars problem is stalling when slowing down in neutral.i was advised to clean the iacv which i did. this helped but only for a few days.if i disconnect the the iacv as advised and things improve is it ok to leave it unplugged?
cheers
Not really as it has a purpose and you are only masking the problem. Try a new IACV which will cost you a tenner from a scap yard or better yet if you know someone with a 1.4 rover 200 25 etc that works ok ask to try their IACV (it takes a couple of bolts to remove it). That way you'll know if it a faulty IACV or something else.

Out of interest is your car idling just over 1000 revs all of the time since you removed the IACV?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hoppaz said:
Not really as it has a purpose and you are only masking the problem. Try a new IACV which will cost you a tenner from a scap yard or better yet if you know someone with a 1.4 rover 200 25 etc that works ok ask to try their IACV (it takes a couple of bolts to remove it). That way you'll know if it a faulty IACV or something else.

Out of interest is your car idling just over 1000 revs all of the time since you removed the IACV?
hi
i thought that would probably be the answer.i haven't tried running the car with it unplugged but it now idles at 1000 revs after cleaning the iacv of soot.it was only slightly higher previously.
cheers

·
Registered
152 Posts
Abigail said:
hi
i thought that would probably be the answer.i haven't tried running the car with it unplugged but it now idles at 1000 revs after cleaning the iacv of soot.it was only slightly higher previously.
cheers
All the stepper (iacv) does is move in and out to control the cars idle. They can get gunked up. Try reseting it .. start your car up and turn it off then turn on the ignition and pump the accelerator five times and turn off the ignition. Leave it for about 40 secs and start the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hoppaz said:
All the stepper (iacv) does is move in and out to control the cars idle. They can get gunked up. Try reseting it .. start your car up and turn it off then turn on the ignition and pump the accelerator five times and turn off the ignition. Leave it for about 40 secs and start the car.
hi
i reset it as above after i cleaned it and several times since.i've also reset the ecu just for the hell of it. after the resets the car then runs fine for a while and then reverts to stalling again.i was recently told that the large "air hose" that runs from the air filter and attaches to the throttle body was missing a clip that secures it to the throttle body.he said it needs to be airtight.i secured it tightly with a jubilee clip which helped for a few days then sure enough it started stalling again!he told me that a "special " clip was required?also recently after resetting the ecu and stepper i noticed for the first time a smell of sulphur -i was told this was a good sign that the cat was working correctly???is any of this advice useful?
cheers

·
Registered
mg_zr
435 Posts
Have you checked the vacuum hose that runs from the ECU up to the fuel trap next to the fuel cut off switch to make sure it is clear of oil/fuel? It has been known for these to get clogged up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
andywhitehurst said:
Have you checked the vacuum hose that runs from the ECU up to the fuel trap next to the fuel cut off switch to make sure it is clear of oil/fuel? It has been known for these to get clogged up.
hi-i haven't but 7 months ago when i first got the car the mechanic who advised i changed the ecu blew down a hose leading from the ecu amongst others.would that have been it?if not I'll obviously try it.
any idea what the sulphur smell was? does the air inlet hose need a "special" clip?the jubilee seems tight enough!
cheers

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
andywhitehurst said:
hi-i've blown down the pipe and could feel it at the opposite end.other than that how do you clean such a long narrow pipe?
cheers
ps.any idea what the smell of sulphur is?good or bad to have?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts