MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all
i've recently noticed a smell of sulphur(bad eggs0 when the bonnets up and engine running.is this a good or bad sign?
cheers

·
Registered
17,398 Posts
More than likely fumes. Could be related to the CAT. Maybe it's leaking or is fubbared. When it's cold first thing in the morning put your head under the car and give the car a bit of gas to see if you can spot any leaks. Also have a listen for any blowing.

Check around the exhaust manifold and downpipe flange for any black soot which would mean the gasket is leaking.

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
Also worth trying a different petrol supplier. Sometimes there's just a batch of fuel which has a higher than usual sulphur content. Before the cat has fully reached its ideal operating temperarure this leads to a higher than normal % of hydrogen sulphide in the exhaust gases. When this happens it's harmless but smelly. Whilst it lasts you can eat whatever you want and if a passenger complains you can blame the car...

If it's only noticeable with the bonnet up and the smell isn't gone a few minutes after starting (i.e. once the engine has FULLY warmed up) then Ashy's suggestion of a possible leaky gasket would also be high on my list of possibilities.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi ashy and obertelli
thanks for the info.will do as above.someone else told me it was a good sign that the cat was working properly???

·
Registered
rover_45
282 Posts
Not really. None of my cars has ever had "eggy fart exhaust" and they all had perfectly good catalytic converters. OTOH I've encountered a few cars that did and in MOST cases there was nothing wrong with theirs either.

Did you manage to resolve your smelly exhaust problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts