MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Could someone tell me why there are only 3 glow plugs that i can see, and more importantly.... how do you get them out ?

I looks like you need a narrow, double depth socket.
If so, what size ?

Dont want much !!!!?

Any help appreciated,

SD

·
Registered
other_manufacturer
4,589 Posts
rigger said:
Hi all.
Could someone tell me why there are only 3 glow plugs that i can see, and more importantly.... how do you get them out ?

I looks like you need a narrow, double depth socket.
If so, what size ?

Dont want much !!!!?

Any help appreciated,

SD

Some versions of the L series only had 3!

The 4th one wasn't fitted because it was behind the fip and impossible to remove without taking that off as well.

Try a ring spanner!
You need to remove the coolant elbow to get the no.1 plug out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not saying you are wrong Ron, cos you are probably not, anyway i had mine changed a while ago, even got the gasket (for the elbow) from the Rover dealer and got some glow plugs and gave everything to mechanic to change cos i was not too bothered about messing about. He changed all three (mine has three too) without having to remove the elbow described. He gave me old plugs so i know he was not pulling my leg. Only reason i dint try it myself is cos my altornator in funny place cos of air-con, and i thought the coolant elbow would need to come off too, i was very very surprised!!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Will have a crack at them tomorrow. Has anyone noticed a measurable improvement in Fuel Economy or performance as a result of having changed the glow plugs. It has 98,000 at the mo, but dont know if they were ever done.

Many thanks again,

SD

·
Registered
305 Posts
No change at all, it should not effect MPG as they are only on for a few seconds when you start up. The cheapest place to get glow plugs is german and swedish, well cheap and good quality. They are made by Beru, part number is BBGN905 OR GN905, £6.09 each PLUS VAT. Used on the majority of Renaults alledgedly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts