MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have two L-Series powered 420's, a '96 GSDi (118k) and a '97 Sdi (160k)

For as long as I can remember, the Fuel economy is consistently better on the SDi compared to the GSDi. SDi averages about 50-53 mpg, while the Gsdi 46-49 mpg. I've done about 30k miles in each car doing the same sort of commute, so I think I can rule out journey type.

There were many revisions to the 400 after May 96, and they also included changes to the engine (like 4 glow plugs instead of 3).
The GSDi has a boot spoiler and wider tyres that those on the SDi. But...my question is, should these differences make so much of a difference to the fuel economy?

I am beginning to suspect that my GSDi is junk, and that I should bin it, despite the lower milage that it's driveway mate.

Has anyone out there got a GSdi (1996) that averages 50-53 mpg?

It would be interesting to see what the average fuel economy you guys get that drive pre-97 cars compared to 97-99 and then 2000 onward.

Tamer

·
Registered
21,962 Posts
tamemin said:
Hi,

I have two L-Series powered 420's, a '96 GSDi (118k) and a '97 Sdi (160k)

For as long as I can remember, the Fuel economy is consistently better on the SDi compared to the GSDi. SDi averages about 50-53 mpg, while the Gsdi 46-49 mpg. I've done about 30k miles in each car doing the same sort of commute, so I think I can rule out journey type.

There were many revisions to the 400 after May 96, and they also included changes to the engine (like 4 glow glugs instead of 3).
The GSDi has a boot spoiler and wider tyres that those on the SDi. But...my question is, should these differences make so much of a difference to the fuel economy?

I am beginning to suspect that my GSDi is junk, and that I should bin it, despite the lower milage that it's driveway mate.

Has anyone out there got a GSdi (1996) that averages 50-53 mpg?

It would be interesting to see what the average fuel economy you guys get that drive pre-97 cars compared to 97-99 and then 2000 onward.

Tamer
I suppose the GSDI has more toys and gizmos', so it is slightly heavier

Might account for the slightly worse consumption.

Cheers
Skelo

·
Registered
rover_600
23 Posts
The wider tyres wont help and with it being the GSDi it has full leather and all the fancy bits which will weigh it down. Does it also have air-con?

T

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, The GSDi does not have aircon, but the SDi does. I think there's about 40 kg difference between the two. I also find that the GSDi is very noisy and harsh compared to the SDi. I haven't got to the bottom of that problem yet, but I'll be changing engine mountings on it soon, so that may help.

Wouldn't mind knowing what others think of their GSDi's, there should still be a few around.

Tamer

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
Even mid to late 40s is good for any car, so I wouldnt worry too much.

Perhaps the manner in which the cars were treated by previous owners may have something to do with it as well.

·
Registered
10,841 Posts
49 odd mpg's not bad for the GSDi, although i wouldnt have thought there would be much difference between the two cars anyway.
Perhaps the tyres may account for a little something but not much.

They sound a nice pair of cars tbh :)

·
Registered
other_rover
343 Posts
I've just changed my 420sdi from a 96 hatch to a 99 saloon. The new one has 15k less than the old one but offers me about 8-10mpg more. It also has aircon which I use alot. Both cars have/had been well maintained. Not that i'm bothered, mid to high 50's mpg suits me fine!

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
seen this, no 2 engines are identical, due to manufacturing tolerences some will be better/worse than others, nothing wrong just how it is, my bro used to get better economy in his 400sdi than i did in the 200sdi with more or less identical journeys

andy

·
Registered
25,606 Posts
Swap the tyres over from one to the other and see if that helps. Also consider driving the GSDi a bit harder and give it a good thrashing to blow out all the cobwebs.

That small a difference in mpg can occur from something as trivial as tyre pressures!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dogudders said:
I've just changed my 420sdi from a 96 hatch to a 99 saloon. The new one has 15k less than the old one but offers me about 8-10mpg more. It also has aircon which I use alot. Both cars have/had been well maintained. Not that i'm bothered, mid to high 50's mpg suits me fine!
That is consistent consumption with my two cars. Does your 99 have wide tyres (192/55) ?

Tamer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts