MG-Rover.org Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Its a K series. Someone will have had the problem before. Have a look at the plugs. Or one at least. see what the end looks like. If by chance you injected too much fuel it will have time to evaporate. The plugs are deep - be careful not to cross thread them when putting back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did have a look. The tip of the spark plug was clean and the tip not bent so spark isnt too close or too far away

·
Registered
mg_tf
255 Posts
It’s probably me, but it’s great inheriting a non running car, but without tools and at least some basic knowledge, then it can become a liability rather than an asset.
Not meaning to be disrespectful, but if you don’t know how to check if you have a spark at the plugs then you are going to struggle to understand how to get this car running.
‘...possibly 5litres of petrol..’ may sound like you’ve added a drop of fuel to whatever stale fuel may have been left in the tank. Certainly worth adding at least another 5litres since these cars do tend to be a bit fussy on low fuel levels.
You say you have inherited the car, which to me means it doesn’t owe you any money. Positive and objective way forward to me would be to ‘invest’ in a bit of local experienced assistance. Have you tried canvassing for such assistance via. a local classic car group or MG group?

·
Registered
mg_tf
1,488 Posts
It's the old ignition 'triangle' - fuel, air, spark. Spark can be tested by taking out a spark plug, resting the metal outer part (thread) on the engine block, turning it over and seeing if you can see a spark. Fuel, well, you say the plugs are wet after trying to start - which suggests fuel. As for air, that's more complicated than it sounds. It is possible to have too much air if there is an air leak somewhere. Someone suggested the inertia switch in the boot, that's a good one to check, but you appear to have done so. Also, I doubt the security system on a '96 MGF is the same as on an '04 TF (my car) but if my keyfob (Pektron system) is not communicating with the car for any reason, it locks out the engine ignition - I can get it to start for about 1 sec then it cuts out. Then I have to wait about 8 minutes before it resets and gives me another chance. I presume it does that by cutting out the spark though so it would be possible to include that as a possible cause by checking for a spark.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
32,845 Posts
It’s a good point about the immobiliser, has the fob been synchronised with the car as the immobiliser works by cutting the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1995 MGF Mpi
686 Posts
It could be the engine management relay, which controls the starter and the fuel pump. It's a black box located behind the ECU. I know of two people that have had the fuel pump relay fail and the car exhibits similar symptoms.

It's just two relays within the box. Using the electrical manual, you can figure out which pin is which and you can test the fuel pump relay without having to open the sealed box.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Plugs first, as been said. Also, the noise of priming- if you have been trying to start it daily, then you might have missed it- so dont be concerned at this stage- you say you can smell fuel- thats a good start- see if there is a spark with one of the plugs at a time- you will need someone to help and make sure the plug body is earthed- dont hold it!- and turn the starter, then watch each plug- do one, if ok, put it back and do another. No engine likes being left for a long time and the petrol will be off and not good enough to start the car. But suck, squeeze bang are the things that start an engine. One at a time. This site isnt manned 24hrs a day and a lot of us dont look every day, so be patient and if we can help, we will.Once its started, then you will have other concerns to check- Operation of the clutch, brakes, coolant leaks- its a methodical approach to re-commission a car.
I use mine (MGFT) at least once a week and if every day, then I might not hear the pump prime as the pressure has held of the whirring is very quick. Again, it helps if you have a helper.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just an update. I have taken off the lid to the fuel pump. Have a multimeter and i will test if the fuel pump is getting enough voltage (if any) to send fuel through the fuel lines. I will listen if it will hum. Update tomorrow in new zealand time if i have any progress. Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
this is what is looks like for all interested. Going to get the bad membranes replaced and have an order on a fuel pump. Thanks for all your handy comments. I will post an update when the car is up and running. :) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hello fellow mg rover citizens. Unfortunately the car has a blown head gasket. There is water in the oil and the car is running on 3 cylinders. I put in a new fuel pump assembly and the car started right up after sitting for 3 years. I now have to take apart the engine and do multiple other tasks to the car. Currently the engine is stuffed and i wanted to give you guys an update. What pot luck :(

·
Registered
mg_tf
255 Posts
When you say there is water in the oil - to what extent? Are you talking mayonnaise on the dip stick for example? OK, running on 3 cylinders requires removing the spark plugs for examination, but I would be doing some more testing before starting to pull this low mileage? engine apart.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts