MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 mgf rover not starting. I dont know how to go about diagnosing problems. Dont have a fuel pressure gague :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello cant seem to get anyones attention so sorry for random message lol. I know this isnt the right thread but what can you do. So i have just inherited a 1996 mgf rover. The car will not start and has been sitting for around 2 years. I have tried jumpstarting (as battery was as dead as a doornail) and still no luck. Cranks over and can sometimes smell fuel. I dont know where the fuel pump is located and cannot seem to hear it humm. Sorry for inconvenience of the wrong thread. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So i have just inherited a 1996 mgf rover. The car will not start and has been sitting for around 2 years. I have tried jumpstarting (as battery was as dead as a doornail) and still no luck. Cranks over and can sometimes smell fuel. I dont know where the fuel pump is located and cannot seem to hear it humm. Thanks to anyone who can reply :)

·
Registered
1998 1.8 vvc Mgf 2004 105 Zr 2018 mg3
5 Posts
Hi MGFlover ....sounds like fuel pump ...they dont like to sit around doing nothing and a fuel gauge not working is a good sign too .
Behind the seats once you have removed sound proofing you will see a metal disc ...200mm in diameter (approx) held with 4 black bolts ...this is where you will discover fuel pump.
Twist red outer ring and bingo ...out she will come with some TLC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks will take a look. I will update tomorrow if i have any luck finding it lol. Not great at car stuff :)

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
This sounds like fun. The fuel pump is in the near side of the petrol tank. When you turn the ignition you should hear it prime. If you are sat in the cabin the sound comes from behind the passenger headrest. Where to start. ???? Check fuses. wiring connections?? take off the circular panel in the engine compartment. Fuel pump is under there.
Some mgfs have been left and start. Once up and running I would change the belts as a matter of course.

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
This sounds like fun. The fuel pump is in the near side of the petrol tank. When you turn the ignition you should hear it prime. If you are sat in the cabin the sound comes from behind the passenger headrest. Where to start. ???? Check fuses. wiring connections?? take off the circular panel in the engine compartment. Fuel pump is under there.
Some mgfs have been left and start. Once up and running I would change the belts as a matter of course.
Also check the inertia switch.
not from an f but you get the idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok thanks so much. Already checked the inertia switch. Also could smell fuel i dont know if that was from the leftover fuel in the fuel lines when i was pumping the accelerator or what. If that is the case its a spark problem. Checked fuses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also i do not hear it prime so its under investigation. Started fine the last i started it. No problems at all so most likely not the connections. I didnt expect anyone to reply lol thanks so much. Dont know a lot about cars :)

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Ok thanks so much. Already checked the inertia switch. Also could smell fuel i dont know if that was from the leftover fuel in the fuel lines when i was pumping the accelerator or what. If that is the case its a spark problem.
Also look up starting problems with other forums. Rover 25 etc. There are some great posts with people who know a lot.

·
Registered
mg_tf
255 Posts
‘.......sometimes smell fuel...’ suggests the fuel pump is working.
Personally, I would not be in any rush to remove the fuel pump assembly until you have carried out a few basic tests.
Your video shows the fuel filter - not the fuel pump assembly.
You say the battery was completely dead as a result of standing uncharged for 2 years. This battery is highly unlikely to be serviceable to any degree and despite a jump lead connection to another battery, the current dud battery may now have a sufficiently high internally resistance to lower the total cranking voltage to under 12v - which will not aid starting.
First simple port of call for me would be to check if there is a spark at the plugs and move forward from there. There are plenty of reasons why it might not start - spark at the plugs or not - and a logical process of elimination needs to be adopted.
Incidentally - how much (fresh) fuel is or has been added to the tank?
Kind regards,
Austin.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah i have been looking at the posts quite a bit but it didnt help much. No one had the same problem

·
Premium Member
869 Posts
Yeah i have been looking at the posts quite a bit but it didnt help much. No one had the same problem
Its a K series. Someone will have had the problem before. Have a look at the plugs. Or one at least. see what the end looks like. If by chance you injected too much fuel it will have time to evaporate. The plugs are deep - be careful not to cross thread them when putting back in.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts