MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Is there a way of turning off the alarm/immobiliser in my Metro (1994 Rio)? I have lost my keyfob for it, meaning I still have a key, but the thing goes nuts every time I open it! I've spoken to a very unhelpful Rover dealer who told me the ONLY way to sort this out is to have it towed to them and pay them £150 for something that presumably takes 10 seconds to do.

There MUST be a way to do this, does anyone know?

Thanks....

TomDavies

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
You can take the alarm box out. The reason for this is simple the immobiliser is built into the alarm box on the later 100 and all modern Rovers the alarm need to feed the engine ecu a code. If you want to take it out take the glove box out and the alarm is up behind it and unplug it. If the car does not start you need to take the relay out. I will not post where the relay is but I will PM you the location if you need to know.

·
Registered
mg_6_gt
1,580 Posts
The £150 would be for a new fob and to have it programmed.

There is a cheaper way - you can buy a Rover Key Fob off E-Bay and then get it programmed by the MGR dealer, which would work out cheaper, but you do need to make sure that you get the old-type fob, not the new one.

·
Registered
rover_45
11,619 Posts
The Metro uses the one button fob the Land Rover one button fob from a Discover/ Defender wont work as they are on a slightly different frequency. These are £90.00+VAT as they are getting rare. The two button fob will not work with the alarm. I can also tell you how to program it but as you can disarm the alarm without taking it out or using Rovers Testbook program you are not going anywhere fast.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the prompt and helpful responses! I think my preference is to simply disable the alarm and immobiliser, as I do not have any particular fear of it ever being stolen. Being someone who excels at losing things such as keys, the keyfob/alarm is more of a liability to me rather than an aid!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
can u please post or pm me how to reprogramme the 1 button fob please as mine has lost the code many thanks
They don't just lose the code.

Either your fob is faulty (check all soldering joints, particularly around the battery holder) and/or replace the battery.

After changing the battery press the button on the fob five times in quick succession near the car to resynch the fob to the car. Although the 3AS system is primative, I will not reveal how to get around it on an open forum, nor will I PM you details as you're not an established member that I can trust.

For anything other than security info, I'd be helping you straightaway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts