MG-Rover.org Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Pulled both terminals off battery for 30 minutes & reconnected them, doesn’t start, still doesn’t sound like fuel pump is priming & throws 8 blinks for TDC sensor again. Wondering if the main relay I swapped in is working & just functions differently, I have one for a legend shipping in next week so we’ll see. First time ecu has received signal so moving in right direction, don’t think I’ll be doing the job of doing the TDC sensor if that is what it ends up being, going to do some more diagnosing tomorrow, not sure if it has spark now so will be checking that & trying to spray some starting fluid in the throttle body to see if itll spudder or anything exciting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Big update!
I figured now that the relay was clicking, it has to be a fuel pump issue. I swapped my resoldered original relay back in, started to click! Green S3 light now comes on dash & clicks off after 2-3 seconds as done the check engine light. Sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body & behold! She fired & ran like a champ! Ran for about a minute straight as I was spraying into the throttle body, as soon as I was done it died. Confirmed no fuel, pump is absolutely not priming, took it out, wired it to a battery charger & came to life! Inspected it (is brand new) popped it back in & just can’t get power to it. Relay is clicking, fuse 13 is not popping anymore, but it started! So so relieving

·
Registered
827 Si Auto, SD1 2600 VdP Manual
30 Posts
That’s a big step in the right direction! However, it could still have something to do with the main relay. To make sure it isn’t the main relay, check for power to the fuel injectors while cranking. Also take a look at:
After, please check for voltage to fuel pump (no or low voltage). If no voltage, check wiring for continuity.

My bet is still with the relay, though. I’m sure you’ll get to the bottom of it. Looking forward to your next find (or the solution!) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Brand new relay shipped in, no avail unfortunately. Relay clicks twice, one upon key ignition, and another in 2-3 seconds as well as switching engine light & S3 light off, ecu isn’t blinking any codes after starting, glad it’s not a TDC sensor at least. 10a fuse 13 for the fuel pump relay doesn’t blow when turning ignition on now, so still headed in right direction.

I have never tested injectors before, but I’ll research some more on that today, will check for voltage at the pump connector & see if I get anything. Persistence! Thanks everyone for the help so far on this peculiar car! 40k miles, barn find from an auction here in the Midwest US, definitely worth keeping

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yet another update
Have power to injectors! Came back out to my 10amp being blown upon ignition again today, unplugged the connector leading to the fuel pump, swapped new 10amp and finally seems to have done the trick! This would mean there is a loss either between pump itself or a short in the wiring, I had swapped a new fuel pump being the first thing replaced, wonder if the new pump itself has a higher resistance than oem, I believe I kept the original pump & know that one works as well so that is the next step

21 - 30 of 30 Posts