MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Dr Dave 
#1 ·
how big of a wheel can you put on a zr:D

#2 ·
17's are the biggest you can get for the ZR as a factory fit option. Imo, they are big enough.... Well for me anyway. :)

I'm not the expert on this, but from what I recall, if you go bigger then 17's you'll have handling problems and your car will tramline. ???

#5 ·
I had a new shape clio for my last car. I put a set of 16" Momos on mine. Thats the biggest you can go without rolling. It improved grip levels massively, but made the ride very hard, and the car did tramline alot - scary when I first fitted them but i got used to them dragging me around at low speeds.

Steve8)

#6 ·
hi to everybody,
as I am a non English speaker, sometimes I have problems with the technical terms you express here, so, could anybody explain me, with easy words please, whtat is the meaning that a car can roll because of big wheels? of course I have tried to find it but I am not able to find the correct sense.
Thank you very much in advance.

#7 ·
"what is the meaning that a car can roll because of big wheels?"

Could you please explain in a little more detail what you mean?

Come back and we'll do our best to help you out :) :)

18's on a 25/ZR are too big, IMHO
The tyres are mega-bucks, too!

17" wheels are about a big as you would want to go without compromising roadholding and road manners 8)

#8 ·
Hi Dr Dave, in a previous message, gringo_steve wrote "I had a new shape clio for my last car. I put a set of 16" Momos on mine. Thats the biggest you can go without rolling." well, what I do not understand is the meaning of the concept "whithout rolling" so my question is What is a car doing when is "rolling"?
I hope you now can understand better my doub.
Thank you very much.

#10 ·
Re: Re: 18

You will be able to get a set of 18's on no problem as long as they are no longer then 7 inchs wide and have 35 rubbers on them.

I have finally found the set of 18 that will look class on my ZR, the only problem is that they are 7.5 inches wide, so I'm going to have to make a quick trip to MotoBuild to get the rear arches sorted. (which isn't a big job)

[Edited by ZrMaster on 13-05-2002 at 09:35 AM GMT]

#12 ·

I'm looking at about £200 -£230 per wheel plus tires! ( I can get tries dert cheap) they come in a 4 std 18x7.5 inches, I will have to get the rear arches sorted to stop them rubing when you have people in the back!=P =P =P =P

[Edited by ZrMaster on 13-05-2002 at 11:17 AM GMT]

#13 ·

ramonici wrote:
Hi Dr Dave, in a previous message, gringo_steve wrote "I had a new shape clio for my last car. I put a set of 16" Momos on mine. Thats the biggest you can go without rolling." well, what I do not understand is the meaning of the concept "whithout rolling" so my question is What is a car doing when is "rolling"?
I hope you now can understand better my doub.
Thank you very much.

I think he means "without rolling the arches", or without making the wheel arches bigger/wider to accomodate a larger wheel size...tho feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.