MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my baby spent yesterday on a rolling road. Not quite where i thought she'd be. After the amount I've spent i was hoping for at least 175.

A little dissapionted, but not far from where i thought.

Anyway - I'm aiming at the 100bhp/litre mark and need to find another 7 bhp.

There are two more things i need to do.

1) 4-2-1 Manifold
2) Fettle the inside of the TB (DVA reckon you can make a miniscule gain by removing the ridge in the casting)

I'm open to other suggestions....what else works!!????

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BPR160 said:
Did you use the same rolling road before you started? Was the mixture ok throughout the run?
Didn't have it on a RR before all the mods.
Our main problem was trying to keep the poor girl cool. We borrowed the big fans from the Motorcycle RR to keep some air at the car.

I was nervous as hell about the whole thing. Don't realise how much those engines scream when you're driving them, but when it's in a workshop with no road/wind noise!!!!! Flippin' 'eck!!

We were leaving it to cool between runs. I was just glad that it was still a runner at the end of it all - lol!! :eek:

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
Stu Dickens is up there as well via TechSpeed. I believe he is now at the stage of needing bigger injectors as no more flow is available with current kit.

Drop Stu a line and compare notes - he may be out of the country for a few days as he has that sort of job.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Revolution Systems in Bournemouth. Very good bunch of people (despite screaming the nadgers off my pride and joy!!)

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
Aye, I know that one.

Mine was up at Well Lane Turbo Centre in Batley last Sunday. Got 142 BHP from a standard car with only one fan directed at the rad.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
If you were after maximum horsepower then a 4 into 1 would be the way to go. A 4-2-1 though retains more torque lower down at the expense of top end power so is better for road use.

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
If you really wanted to push it over the top, there is nitrous oxide (although I suspect someone will say it's undoable)

Stand alone management and a re-map?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If Pete's using a standard bottom end, the last thing he'll want to do is push it too far. My block is standard and the most power you can relaibly see would be 170-180bhp. Running 173bhp and then adding nitrous would see the liners or pistons fail most likely, at higher RPM.
Pete, my cars booked in on the 29th at Aldon Automotive in Briarly Hill, i have had similar modifications to you, except i have a 4-2-1 manifold. Would be interesting to see what gains or losses we have in comparison!
Also, what cams are you running?

Kris

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
not really if you had a progressive controller it should be fine but try 75bhp dont think the k-series would like another 100bhp controller or not lol

·
Registered
13,968 Posts
Pipercross BP270 cams, that'll shoot you past 180 no doubt. Buy a vernier pulley though so you can tweek the exhaust cam otherwise it will idle rough.

Have you though about water injection? You can boost power by a maximum of about 40%, although you wouldn't get near that with the kits available. I used to have one on my old 220 Turbo, worked a treat, and provided a noticable gain. Not as harmful as nitrous systems and are regulated much better by their own management systems. You can do a water / alcohol or ethanol mix if you're feeling brave but wouldn't recomend it on a standard K bottom end.

Water injection has been around for donkeys years, and unlike NOS, doesnt induce knock deviation. Something the K can't cope with as there's no knock sensor. Better still, waters hell of a lot cheaper.

Couple it with a limit switch under your accelerator so it engages when your foots buried.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
Pete- I've clearly missed the thread with the specifications of your engine - can you tell me what you've had done? I'm guessing you've been to see that nice Mr Andrews... ;)

Also, if you have copies of the RR dynometer curves that might be quite useful. But heat is a serious killer of power - and Roger Parker tells me that torque is the first victim of this if it is becoming a problem (this weekend has been baking - and far from ideal for us Petrol heads!)

BPR's comment regarding air/fuel mixture is crucial - tuned VVCs - particularly those with the smaller blue injectors (fitted on all engines after 2001) - are very prone to inadequate fuelling. A broad bandwidth lambda will help answer a number of power-related questions... An adjustable fuel pressure regulator could be the answer - as Dave Livingstone and Stu Dickens have found in the past.

·
Premium Member
31,560 Posts
Pretty sure water injection is only really of use with Turbos... but could be wrong...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts