MG-Rover.org Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know the ins and out of putting an engine out of a 216si into a 214si. Will I need a new wiring loom or brain?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
54,941 Posts
Straight swap. ECU, wiring etc all the same provided they are both 16v MPI engines.
 

·
Registered
rover_25
Joined
·
581 Posts
skanking pete said:
109 ish methinks
There really isn't much point swapping the engine over to be honest. The 1.4 pushes out around 103ps and the 1.6 around 109ps IIRC so its really more hassle than its worth, if anything just save for a faster car or think of a different engine conversion ie 1.8/vvc

Or even tune the 1.4 with exhaust good air filter chip or whatever your budget can stretch to. Will get more power per pound than the cost of the 1.6 upgrade.

Although if your engine is totally broken and you can get a cheap good 1.6 engine and can afford the insurance for the mod then i guess why not
 

·
Registered
cityrover
Joined
·
13,055 Posts
Im surprised because the amount of power the 1.6 gives out isnt that much more than the 1.4 really, it still does 0-60 9 tenths of a second quicker according to parkers. Must be down to the extra torque the 1.6 has 145nm compared to the 127 in the 1.4
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts
Phil_216sli_Mk3 said:
Im surprised because the amount of power the 1.6 gives out isnt that much more than the 1.4 really, it still does 0-60 9 tenths of a second quicker according to parkers. Must be down to the extra torque the 1.6 has 145nm compared to the 127 in the 1.4
Yeah its torquier and will have a bit more top end poke.
To be honest i cant see the point in just going up 1 engine step, as for the problems you are probably going to have, you may as well just buy a 216. Now dropping something that was never available into it, is something worth doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tommihayes said:
There really isn't much point swapping the engine over to be honest. The 1.4 pushes out around 103ps and the 1.6 around 109ps IIRC so its really more hassle than its worth, if anything just save for a faster car or think of a different engine conversion ie 1.8/vvc

Or even tune the 1.4 with exhaust good air filter chip or whatever your budget can stretch to. Will get more power per pound than the cost of the 1.6 upgrade.

Although if your engine is totally broken and you can get a cheap good 1.6 engine and can afford the insurance for the mod then i guess why not
Its more the fuel econmeny I was thinking of. I can't keep the petrol coming to the 1400cc. I was hoping the 1600cc would put out a bit more power and the weight of the car wound put less strain on the engine. But I can see the isn't really much difference in power
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,398 Posts
Muldrew said:
Its more the fuel econmeny I was thinking of. I can't keep the petrol coming to the 1400cc. I was hoping the 1600cc would put out a bit more power and the weight of the car wound put less strain on the engine. But I can see the isn't really much difference in power
Eh...? Smaller engined cars usually have better economony not bigger. The 1.4 K series has no problem pulling it's weight.
Drive more econonomically if you want to save fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ashy said:
Eh...? Smaller engined cars usually have better economony not bigger. The 1.4 K series has no problem pulling it's weight.
Drive more econonomically if you want to save fuel.
Driving economically bearly gettin 230 miles to the tank. The small engine is gettin it tight pulling the 17's around
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,101 Posts
Muldrew said:
Driving economically bearly gettin 230 miles to the tank. The small engine is gettin it tight pulling the 17's around
dont tell me you have spent all this time trying to find a way to explain how a smaller engine is more efficient?.....lol.
anyway, the main principle is that internal combustion engines arent 100% efficient at burning fuel, more like 40% to 50%. so this means the bigger the engine more inefficient it will be, providing it works on same design, fuel usage etc. and i think two k series does compare.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top