MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably a stupid question, but at the front brake calipers on a TF160 made by AP Racing? I heard that they were

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
cgfootman said:
this is probably a stupid question, but at the front brake calipers on a TF160 made by AP Racing? I heard that they were
Put simply, Yep! :D

(As long as you mean the Red ones with the 304mm Discs that is.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet! im well impressed with them to be honest although they didn't stop me spanking my first TF :( However my secound one is much better

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Just to confirm those calipers been available from AP for many years.
They are also not the same as those fitted by MG (and I dont just mean the 'MG' logo on the outside) and so have never been covered by the MG licence.

·
Registered
17,075 Posts
SHARKYMGF said:
Just to confirm those calipers been available from AP for many years.
They are also not the same as those fitted by MG (and I dont just mean the 'MG' logo on the outside) and so have never been covered by the MG licence.
Thanks for the comments Steve; not what I heard from a horse but I'll accept your version.

Do you know what are the differences between the BLUE AP calipers and the MG Only RED AP calipers? Are the pistons the same bore? Do they have the same stroke? Do they exert the same pressure? Do they accept the same pads? Is there a downside of fitting these instead of RED AP calipers? Is there, possibly, an upside?

I'm interested because I'm considering a brake upgrade before too much longer.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
From what IRC Techspeed telling me, its to do with the weather seals around the calliper pistons. The MG ones have them, the 'AP' ones don’t, or they have them and they are a different spec, cant remember exactly it was a while ago when we spoke about it. From what I understand it means that the APs are susceptible to salt ingress into the pistons and the corrosion associated with it. This is not an issue on a race car where the callipers are stripped and rebuilt on a regular basis, but on a road car it could cause some problems if you don’t look after them.
AFAIAA they take the same pads. ATM I can't see an upside to to the AP ones other than if you specifically want blue ones.
With sets of MG callipers,disks & pads selling on ebay for less than the cost of a set of new AP discs form X-Part, its a no-brainer to me to go for the MG ones.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I know ther are several people on here who have bought callipers from the same supplier and had no problems, hopefully they will be kind enough to post the sellers details so you can contact them. You may even be able to cut out the 'ebay bit' if you can contact them directly.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
SHARKYMGF said:
I know ther are several people on here who have bought callipers from the same supplier and had no problems, hopefully they will be kind enough to post the sellers details so you can contact them. You may even be able to cut out the 'ebay bit' if you can contact them directly.
Try getting hold of Pete T. He's one of the chaps who's had a successful transaction with them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts