MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
mgf
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need advice. I have to buy new tyres for my F, so it seems like a good opportunity to upgrade to 16" alloys from the standard VVC 15".

Apart from looks, is there any advantage in bigger wheels?
I run into the problem that there is not a lot of 16" MGf/TF alloys in New Zealand, well not reasonably priced. So far all I can find are some 8 spoke Minilite style ones sold through MGR Japan. I guess they are kind of like the ones on a New Mini. They are dark grey, rather than silver, which is not really what I am after. However, they come with very good Yokohama tyres.

The 16" set is $1000 (which I think is too dear), but the new tyres would cost about $400 just for the back ones. I can probably get $300 - $400 for my old alloys, so I am only looking at about, say, $250 to upgrade.

Advantage is that I have 16" alloys and the F looks a lot tougher. Disadvantage, not sure about the dark grey Minilite style and I have to sell my old wheels. Also, the tyres are good, but not new.

I'd love other opinions. Are 16" alloys a good thing, or a bad move.

Thanks

James

·
Registered
17,936 Posts
It depends. A lot of people prefer 15" wheels due to ride comfort. And a lot prefer 16" wheels due to looks.

If you go for 16s, you'll have more expensive tyres too (I'm not sure what its like in NZ, but in the UK 16" tyres are more pricey).

I can't offer my opinion on handling though. I've only every had 16s on my TF.

Its entirely up to you. If you prefer the look of the 16s then go for it. If you don't like them, sell them on again. :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
16" with correct profile tyres at the correct pressure and the correct size width for the MGF/TF as said will give slight change in ride comfort but less sidewall with a good tyre like Goodyear will give better directional stability.

Looks good too.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I've upgraded from 15" to 16" in the last month or so, had standard mpi wheels with 185/55 on the front and 205/50s on the rear. now have a set of abingdons with dunlop s2000 215/40's all round. As said above, ride quality does suffer but not in a major way, theres less understeer at the front but the back end can come round a bit quicker, esp. if your in a quick corner and turn in a bit more.

For me it made a good handling car much better and more how I thought it should be, still enjoying the improvement!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have also upgraded from 15" to 16" last summer, difference in comfort in very very slight (actually depends on the tyre change, i.e. in my case i moved to gsd3s after potenza so1 and gsd3s were much comfy) and the difference in handling and looks is well worth it. One other advantage is the ability to fit bigger ap calipers in the future under certain wheels, so i would recommend wheels that can accept ap without a problem like the 11 spoke tf or trophy ones.

·
In the Garage
MG TF
33,188 Posts
I agree that's they they would need to be the right price and only then if the tyres were needing changing anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts