MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a 125cc learner legal bike? Whats the best to get? Looking for a road legal bike which can be used for trails/off road.

Been looking on Ebay but they only seem to have cheap Chinese stuff.

Heres the best I can find-

Yamaha DTR
AJS Trail 125

Any others?

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Anyone have a 125cc learner legal bike? Whats the best to get? Looking for a road legal bike which can be used for trails/off road.

Been looking on Ebay but they only seem to have cheap Chinese stuff.

Heres the best I can find-

Yamaha DTR
AJS Trail 125

Any others?

Aprilia RS125 - Italian 2 stroke screamer - goes like a rocket (For a 125) expensive new, not cheap second hand, dear if they go wrong.

Cagiva Mito 125 - As above only nicer looking, better handling, and faster.

Yamaha TZR125 - Old and cheap, not as fast as the Italians but a good bit more reliable

Honda CBR 125 - Honda's newest learner legal race rep. Look smart, and go ok. Reliable apparently, but not too many second hand ones around yet

All sports bikes mind.

For off road, the 2 you've mentioned are probably your best bet.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The trouble is with any motorbike you have to- DVLA register it, tax it, pass CBT, buy the clothing, buy the helmet, insure it and MOT it.

I don't have the money or the time. My dream is just every sunday take the old girl for a spin, do a bit of greenlanning then come home again. But in reality there is no way I can afford it.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Before my motorbike accident..............

When I was learning I had an RXS 125 and a YB100, both Yamaha. Absolutely loved them to bits, before that had an FS1E (Fizzy 50) and had just as much fun out of it.

Although that was 15 years ago, if you have the cash... the Aprilia RS 125 is pretty yummy.

Times have changed now and to be honest you wouldn't see me dead on a bike now (Excuse the punn) to many :cus: on the road!

Whatever you choose.... just be safe, Around here, near Buxton, I see so many idiot Motorcyclists who have got something bad coming to them in the near future.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
If you want to go on any public area on a motorbike - even if it is off-road, like green-laning, you need to have a road legal motorbike with tax, MoT and insurance. If you don't have a bikers licence, you'll also need the 'L' plate.

If you don't have all of the above, the police will throw the book at you: it isn't worth taking the risk.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The BSA Bantam 125 did me well enough...And you could strip the engine and fit new main bearings (and piston/rings if you felt you needed them) in your lunch hour, and still have time for a chip buttie.

·
Registered
mg_zt
75 Posts
I don't think you'll want to take the Aprillia RS125 or the Bantam off road!! I've always owned sports/street fighters and never been in to off road but if your riding bias is going to be off road then take a good look at a KTM 125.

Safe riding, col.

·
Registered
rover_200_coupe
694 Posts
Sorry, you are right blake, didn't read the text properly, just thought he wanted a nice bike.. lol had been a long day....

·
Registered
651 Posts
It depends on the amount of dosh you have.As you have mentioned the Dt125R is an excellent on/off road bike and it is easy to derestrict for the full power 21bhp.Kawasaki,s kdx/kmx 125 is another good bike.Both of these are two strokes but if you want four stroke go for the Honda XL or Suzuki DR 125,s.These will be slower but will last the distance in terms of engine reliability.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
gilera runner 125 2stroke with mallosi 172 kit.. had one at 17 and it was faster then any hot hatch. takes my vi till 3rd gear to catch one :banghead:

get a malosi crank aswell as the 17's kit eats them

·
Registered
13,101 Posts
ye stay away from the chinese crap, my mate bought one (125cc) doesnt even have a proper make on it. its fallen to pieces already, even the throttle cable!

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you drive a 125cc Bantam with only a CBT?

They're pretty old school; they don't even have indicators.

·
Premium Member
54,941 Posts
Avoid a sports 125 for taking the test on as the lock is not very good and just mkes the manouvers more difficult.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mate you cant do bikes on a budget. You say you cant really afford it, then dont get a road bike, skimp on any part of a bike and chances are youl have a nasty accident.I am currently off work since jan because of A BIKE accident. I may well be off for a few more months and mine was only a minor accident. I never skimped on my bike and it still got me fecked up. Luckilly it was not my fault so i will be getting paid out.I am not going back on the road for a while. But i am getting back into trials, If you want a bike that you dont need to insure etc, get a true off roader/track bike and get a Dave cooper bike rack(see ebay). And a tow bar for your car.Then you can have all the fun of biking with less of the dangerers and less of the licence losing power of a road bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
By the way my first was an RXS100 by yamaha 12000rpm 2 stroke screamer, getting your kneee down on what looks like a commuter bike is classic for anyone following with a video camera Wink Wink dont do this on the public highway.

·
Registered
rover_25
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Off Road 125cc's are pretty pricey.

I was talking to my old man about a Bantam, he said their bloody good fun. There was indeed a Bushman version which looks superb.

What hit's me is how cheap they are to insure (probably due to max speed 45mph!) thats third party, do the old girls have locks though?

The 125 only kicks out 4bhp and your allowed to have anything up to 14bhp on a provisional license.

Heres a pic-

1 - 19 of 19 Posts