MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1224 Miles

609 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Womble 
#1 ·
Thats what I've just covered in 6 days. Well, 2 really.

520 each way; 1040 return. All miles covered without the ZT missing a beat. High speed motorway miles to some of the twistiest, uneven, rough, pot-holed single track roads you can imagine.

Everytime I pressed the accelerator pedal, the car went with smooth and urgent acceleration. Every time I pressed the brake - the opposite! Sometimes stamping on the brake to avoid kamikazee sheep and other assorted wildlife.

The car breeds confidence in it's abilities. I've never experienced anything like that before, I've always had niggles at the back of my mind about something going wrong or breaking. Not a single worry with the ZT.

Even had it's photo taken by some German tourists whilst waiting for a ferry at Tarbert - "Sehr schon auto" was mentioned a couple of times.

I'm well chuffed with it. :)

#2 ·
I did about 1400 miles or there abouts a couple of weeks ago. Drove up to Scotland From Swindon, and a weeks worth of driving around then back to Swindon again. Didn't miss a beat. Ran beautifully and got good fuel consumption. After spending all that time on the motorway I still got out feeling like I'd just nipped out for a five minute drive! Amazing.

Incidentally, have any of you guys or girls been to the "Electric Brae?" That is a mad place!!

#3 ·
Near on 400 miles yesterday to Eastbourne and back - just to have my car given its 3-yr service (for free - a big thank you to Caffyns for continuing to honour the original guarantee :D ) and it's first MOT, and er... lie on the pebbly beach.

Never skipped a beat in some hard driving. I should take this for granted but don't, because my previous Rover - a P5B 3.5 coupé - regularly used to drop a beat or three. After the longest trip I'd ever done in one day - 648 miles to Aberdeen and back - its exhaust dropped off.

Back to my '03 75... got an 'advisory' with the MOT about the n/s rear tyre, which was approaching its limit at 23,000 miles. Caffyns said 'they all do it' - wear this tyre first. Looks like I'll be going to 'Just Tyres' for a quote soon.

But what sort of life should I expect from the exhaust ? No sign of trouble as yet. Battery like-new too. I mainly do long runs. Great car.

Steve

#6 ·
Maybe it's just me, but I find this thread rather puzzling for 2 reasons:

Firstly, why should a modern car fail if you've kept to maintenance scehdules? If I look back over all the motoring I've done over the years, and exclude consumables being consumed, I reckon I've probably had 1 failure maybe every 30-40,000 miles. OK, so with the 260 I've had 2 in 2 days, but one was a simple hose failure that could happen to anyone, and the other is, I'm pretty sure, as a result of where the water squirted out of the hose :rotflmao: but overall, I would hold to the point, and I don't see why cars as well put together as the 75/ZT should be an exception (although admittedly, I don't have the HGF worries).

Secondly, if your car is going to fail, surely it is far more likely to do so on one of the little town runs than on a nice, component friendly motorway run? When I did 1,700 miles in a fortnight with my 73 MGB-GT in France in the middle of a hot summer, the 1,400 miles total round trip on the motorway were of no concern whatsoever. If anything, it was the small journeys whilst down there that would've been a concern.

Am I missing something overall, or do I just have an uncommonly high level of ZT optimism???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.