MG-Rover.org Forums banner

1224 Miles

609 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Womble 
Maybe it's just me, but I find this thread rather puzzling for 2 reasons:

Firstly, why should a modern car fail if you've kept to maintenance scehdules? If I look back over all the motoring I've done over the years, and exclude consumables being consumed, I reckon I've probably had 1 failure maybe every 30-40,000 miles. OK, so with the 260 I've had 2 in 2 days, but one was a simple hose failure that could happen to anyone, and the other is, I'm pretty sure, as a result of where the water squirted out of the hose :rotflmao: but overall, I would hold to the point, and I don't see why cars as well put together as the 75/ZT should be an exception (although admittedly, I don't have the HGF worries).

Secondly, if your car is going to fail, surely it is far more likely to do so on one of the little town runs than on a nice, component friendly motorway run? When I did 1,700 miles in a fortnight with my 73 MGB-GT in France in the middle of a hot summer, the 1,400 miles total round trip on the motorway were of no concern whatsoever. If anything, it was the small journeys whilst down there that would've been a concern.

Am I missing something overall, or do I just have an uncommonly high level of ZT optimism???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.